| You are in: World: Americas | ||||
|
|
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 05:51 GMT
Judge appointed to probe Haiti plot
The Haitian government has appointed a judge to head an investigation into an attempted coup there last week. The public prosecutor Jose Pierre Louis said Judge Bernard Sainvil would look into the attack on the National Palace in the capital, Port-au-Prince, and the subsequent violence, during which the offices of several opposition parties were set alight. At least 12 people were killed in the attempted coup, which correspondents said revived concerns about Haiti's attempt to establish democracy following decades of dictatorship and military rule. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Americas stories now:
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||
|
Links to more Americas stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|