| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | |||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Friday, 28 December, 2001, 05:24 GMT
Strike force to fight Australian arson
The weekend weather forecast is not favourable
Police in the Australian state of New South Wales say a strike force being set up to catch bush fire arsonists will bring together specialist resources from every affected region.
The authorities believe many of more than 100 fires blazing around Sydney and elsewhere, which have destroyed hundreds of homes, were lit deliberately. Five people have so far been arrested on suspicion of starting fires: three 15-year-old boys, a 20-year-old in Sydney and a 19-year-old man in Canberra, allegedly found lighting a fire near parliament. "We will be unrelenting in our pursuit of anybody who has caused these acts of arson," said Commander Laycock. However, police in Shellharbour, 100km (60 miles) south of Sydney, where the three boys were arrested, said the youths might receive counselling instead of stricter punishment. Convicted arsonists face maximum jail terms of 14 years and fines of up to A$ 50,000 ($ 25,000).
Weekend warning Fire-fighters tackling the blazes have been warned that the situation could worsen with soaring temperatures and dry conditions forecast for the weekend. The flames are now less than 25 km (15 miles) from the centre of the New South Wales state capital, Sydney.
Australian Prime Minister John Howard has promised A$1m ($507,000) in emergency aid from the government.
Authorities said the cost of the damage is at least A$20m ($10.15m).
Click here for a map of the fires threatening Sydney
About 5,000 fire-fighters are battling to try to contain the inferno, which is burning in a ring around Sydney.
Fire units have been rushing from flare-up to flare-up, while helicopters have been dropping water on the flames, stopping to fill up in back yards and swimming pools.
The fires have left Sydney covered in a dense blanket of smoke, its famous beaches blackened by ash and burnt leaves.
The NSW emergency services ministry has declined to hire an Ilyushin-76 fire-fighting plane, which can drop more than 40,000 litres (10,400 gallons) of water in eight seconds.
A spokesman for the ministry said such an aircraft had been tested after the 1994 bush fires around Sydney and found unsuitable for Australian eucalyptus forests.
A Canadian company is offering an Il-76 aircraft, crewed by Russians, at a rate of $9,000 an hour, plus expenses.
Wildlife devastated
The flames, which have been fanned by sweltering temperatures and high winds, have devastated large swathes of the region's natural habitat.
Thousands of animals, including koalas, possums and kangaroos, have been killed and about 247,000 acres of national parks destroyed.
Wildlife officials say it could take two years for the environment to regenerate.
Authorities are bracing themselves for worse to come.
Weather forecasters say that a dangerous combination of shifting winds, low humidity and rising temperatures will confront fire-fighters over the next few days.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|