BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 25 October, 2001, 14:58 GMT 15:58 UK
Danielle police search drains
Danielle Jones
Danielle Jones has been missing since June
Police are using specialist cameras to explore a disused sewage works near the home of missing teenager Danielle Jones.

The small cameras, attached to poles, were being fed into 20 water and oil-filled underground compartments at the isolated site next to an industrial estate in Stanford-le-Hope, Essex.

Detectives investigating Danielle's disappearance hope to find something which may lead them to discover the whereabouts of the 15-year-old.

The teenager has not been seen since she left her home in East Tilbury, Essex, to catch the bus to school on 18 June.

'Dangerous areas'

The teenager, who had not gone missing before and who took no spare clothing, did not get on the bus and did not arrive at St Clere's School in Stanford-le-Hope.

Sergeant Steve Kettle, a search advisor with Essex Police, said: "There is nothing specific to suggest we are going to find anything in relation to Danielle Jones, but it's an area people have access to.

Linda and Tony Jones
Danielle's parents have made several appeals

"Some of these areas are too dangerous to put drivers into so we are using the cameras."

The expertise of private firm Spartan Rescue is also being used by police to carry out the searches which are expected to last three days.

Mark Burnett, of Spartan Rescue, said the infra-red cameras could pick up a clear image underwater.

The image from the camera is fed to a live video link watched by members of the search team.

'700 searches'

Sergeant Kettle added: "Every day bar two since Danielle's disappearance there have been at least three search teams deployed in Essex.

"We have carried out over 700 searches across a wide variety of terrain and buildings.

"We are now going back to areas already searched due to the recent flooding with a view that it may now give us something we haven't had before."

Last week Danielle's mother, Linda Jones, 41, made a fresh appeal for help for information on the eve of her daughter's 16th birthday.

Mrs Jones told a press conference at Grays police station in Essex how Danielle had been taken away just as she was blossoming into a young woman.

Police have confirmed six positive sightings of Danielle in the hours following her disappearance and one in Thurrock later the same day.

Danielle's uncle, builder Stuart Campbell, 43, from Grays, has been arrested on suspicion of her murder and is due to answer police bail on 13 November.

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories