BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Audio/Video: Programmes: PM
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Programmes 
avconsole 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 25 October, 2001, 15:47 GMT 16:47 UK
British troops to go in?
British troops
British forces may soon be sent to Afghanistan
Tony Blair tells the cabinet that there will soon be an announcement about the deployment of British troops in the Middle East.

For more than a week there have been broad hints that land forces might be used soon. Does the continuing wait suggest a long-term strategy that's going to plan - or are there problems? Our defence correspondent Paul Adams gives his view.

Should cluster bombs be part of the coalition arsenal against the Taleban? The Diana Princess of Wales memorial fund has called for an end to their use in a joint letter, with Landmine Action, to the Times.

The letter appeared as reports suggest cluster bombs were used on Taleban front lines today for the first time in this conflict.

Also today, the UN said cluster bombs dropped by US warplanes on a western Afghanistan village killed nine people earlier this week. But the concern about the bombs is not so much their immediate impact, but their long-term effect.

Nigel Vinsen, a defence analyst with the Royal United Services Institute and Richard Lloyd, director of Landmine Action explained their objections.

Security alert

Providing extra security in London following the events of September 11th is placing a huge financial burden on the Metropolitan Police, an extra cost of about £1m a week. It is also putting a strain on the police officers themselves.

The Police Federation says that crime levels in outer London could rise as officers are taken off normal duties to police potential terrorist targets in central London. The Metropolitan Police Authority has asked the Home Office to reimburse the extra security costs and is warning that the Met doesn't have enough financial reserves to cope with any new commitments. Terry Stiastny reports.

Jury dodging

And if you have ever tried to dodge jury service, because you claimed your job was too important to leave, then the home secretary's announcement today that he is tightening the rules may come as an unwelcome surprise. The move means that that judges, lawyers, doctors and other professionals can no longer be exempt from serving on a jury.

This was one of the recommendations of Lord Justice Auld, who has conducted a review of the criminal justice system. Mr Blunkett believes that the jury system should represent as wide a cross-section as possible and he believes the absence of educated professionals makes juries less able to cope with court processes.

Stephen Alambritis of the National Federation of Small Business and Sir Michael Davies, a former High Court judge, debate the issue.


To listen, click on the audio links at the top of the page

If you have a story or a comment to make, e-mail us via the Your Say section.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
James Reynolds:
Reports from scene of Israeli retribution
Terry Stiastny:
London's police overstretched by extra security measures
Stephen Alambritis and Sir Michael Davies:
The pros and cons of the middle classes doing jury service
Nigel Vinsen and Richard Lloyd:
Unexploded cluster bombs more lethal than mines

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more PM stories