| You are in: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 26 October, 2001, 16:15 GMT 17:15 UK
Gotthard police find no more bodies
Swiss police say there is hope that the number of people killed in the Gotthard tunnel disaster may not rise above 11 already confirmed dead.
"We now believe there are no other dead," a police spokesman said. Officials emphasised on Thursday that the number of people on the missing list - the result of phone calls from concerned relatives - could be misleading. They pointed out that families did not always inform the authorities when their loved ones turned up safe and sound. However, they said on Friday that a special victim identification team would not begin work into the tunnel until Monday. The number of missing fell from 128 on Thursday to 113 on Friday. Vehicles welded together The authorities are hoping that most of those in the vicinity of the lorry collision that caused the blaze were able to escape via a service tunnel, sealed off from the smoke and fumes by fire doors.
Most of the dead whose bodies have been found are thought to have suffocated. BBC correspondent James Coomarasamy, reporting from inside the tunnel, said that one of the lorries had been turned into a wreck of twisted material, and that cars had been welded together into a lump of metal by the intense heat. Click here for a diagram of the tunnel fire Rescue workers moved inch by inch towards the source of the blaze, because of the risk that more of the tunnel's roof could collapse. Officials earlier estimated that between 20 and 30 vehicles were trapped in the 200 metre section closest to heart of the blaze. However, they knew that some of those travelling in these vehicles had escaped. Road chaos Firefighters worked round the clock to douse the flames.
On Friday morning they said the fires were under control. The closure of the Gotthard tunnel, the main route through the Alps from Germany to Italy, has caused chaos for road transport.
Italian hauliers have called on their government to appeal to Austria to lift a restriction on lorries using the Brenner tunnel, claiming the country risked economic paralysis. And a spokesman for the International Road Transport Union, Guy Willis, called on Friday for the earliest possible opening of the Mont Blanc tunnel, which was closed after a fire that killed 39 people in 1999. Experts say the Gotthard tunnel is likely to remain closed for several months.
|
See also:
26 Oct 01 | Europe
26 Oct 01 | Europe
25 Oct 01 | Europe
25 Oct 01 | Europe
24 Oct 01 | Business
24 Oct 01 | Europe
24 Oct 01 | Europe
24 Oct 01 | Europe
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Europe stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |