BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 25 October, 2001, 12:59 GMT 13:59 UK
Lukewarm response to 11-plus report
The 11-plus test has sparked controversy
Review of the test was published on Wednesday
The two main unionist parties in Northern Ireland have failed to give a warm welcome to plans to change the education system in the province.

An end to the controversial 11-plus transfer test has been recommended following a review of the education system.

A 300-page report by the Post Primary Review body, which was published on Wednesday, suggested that the test be scrapped within two years.

The Ulster Unionist Party and Democratic Unionist Party are most supportive of the grammar school system in the province.

Ulster Unionists have not yet commented on the report, except to say they had a number of concerns and were still studying the report.


Sammy Wilson: Report authors criticised

But the DUP has strongly criticised it as "naive, poorly thought out and contradictory".

The party's education spokesman, Sammy Wilson, said it was in effect a "comprehensive system, under another guise".

However, Patricia Lewsley of the SDLP said she hoped the recommendations were implemented as soon as possible.

She said: "We have maintained our opposition to selection on the grounds that the system is unfair."

Party colleague Tommy Gallagher said the end of selection was long overdue.

Sinn Fein's Barry McElduff said the plan had the potential to "transform the educational landscape".

Academic selection

Eileen Bell of the Alliance Party praised the review body, but said the report would require very close consideration.

The Women's Coalition described some of the suggestions as "interesting" and, in an initial response, welcomed the prospect of an end to the 11-plus.

Pupils currently in primary six could be the last to sit the test, which determines to which type of school they will transfer.

The review was ordered last year by Education Minister Martin McGuinness and is now open to consultation for the next six months.

The least happy with an end to academic selection is the grammar school lobby, represented by the Governing Bodies Association.

See also:

24 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Report calls for end of 11-plus
17 Jan 01 | Northern Ireland
Mother loses 11-plus dyslexia appeal
24 Oct 01 | Education
The remaining grammar schools
31 Mar 01 | Northern Ireland
Rally urges end to 11-plus
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories