BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 16:25 GMT 17:25 UK
Teenagers guilty of Christmas murder
Road closure at death scene
Roads were shut off when Len Procter's body was found
Two teenagers have been found guilty of murdering a frail man on Christmas Day in west Wales.

The judge at Swansea Crown Court found Matthew Jenkins and Wayne Jones, both 17, guilty of killing Len Proctor as he walked home from a pub.

Len Proctor
Len Procter was found dead on Boxing Day
The frozen body of 53-year-old Mr Proctor, from Burry Port in Carmarthenshire, was found in a driveway at Trimsaran on Boxing Day last year.

Jenkins, from Burry Port, and Jones, Pontyberem, had denied brutally beating Mr Proctor after he left the Miner's Arms pub in the village.

At an earlier hearing, Swansea Crown Court heard the youths had been drinking with their girlfriends at the pub before the incident.

During the evening, Jenkins' girlfriend had claimed Mr Proctor had assaulted her five years ago.

On 2 October, Patrick Harrington, prosecuting, told Swansea Crown Court Jenkins pledged to give the 53-year-old "a good hiding" while his friend "readily agreed."
Swansea Crown Court
The youths were convicted at Swansea Crown Court

Mr Proctor was frail and walked with a stick and, after he left, the boys followed him and ambushed him outside the pub, the court heard.

But Mr Harrington claimed Mr Proctor was subjected to a "savage and brutal" attack.

The girlfriend of one of the defendants told the court she had met with the two young men the day after the attack.

Her boyfriend told her he had seen his friend hitting the pensioner's head against the kerb, she claimed.

She said the teenager did not deny the incident to his friends.

The court heard that Mr Proctor had been alive when the youth left him.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Wales's Geraint Vincent at Swansea Crown Court
"The court heard that Mr Procter suffered more than 50 injuries"
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories