BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 15:02 GMT 16:02 UK
UK ponders troop deployment
British Commando Marines on exercise
UK troops can be deployed at short notice
Defence secretary Geoff Hoon says a decision will be made "shortly" on whether UK troops will be used in an Afghan ground war.

At a news conference at the Ministry of Defence on Tuesday, Mr Hoon went as far as indicating that forces currently on an exercise in Oman might eventually play a part in the military campaign.

He said that a third of the objectives of the military campaign had already been achieved creating the right conditions for future operations in Afghanistan.


We are determined to assist the United States as effectively as we can but we have made no decisions about how we might adjust our contribution

Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon
A senior defence source has told the BBC that more than 1,000 British troops are being prepared for deployment in any potential ground war in Afghanistan.

But Mr Hoon said: "We are determined to assist the United States as effectively as we can but we have made no decisions about how we might adjust our contribution.

"We will do so shortly and will announce them when we do so."

However with regards the troops in Oman, he said: "We are in the process of looking at the equipment and people who are engaged on Exercise Saif Sareea (in Oman) with a view to deciding which of those we will need to retain in or around the theatre to support future operations.

"But no decision has yet been taken about which those will be."

Military successes

He said the air-attacks in Afghanistan had resulted in the destruction of all nine training camps of Osama Bin Laden's al-Qaeda network and nine airfields had mostly been put out of action.

Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon
Geoff Hoon: A third of objectives of campaign achieved
Mr Hoon said 24 military garrisons have been hit hard, and the Taleban's air force was "effectively no more".

And he said he treated with "suspicion" Taleban claims about numbers of civilian casualties.

About 600 Royal Marine Commandos and several hundred special forces currently on the pre-planned exercise in Oman will not return to the UK at the end of the training next week.

At least four Royal Navy and Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships will also stay behind.

The size of the force involved suggests British troops will play a much bigger role in any offensive.

20,000 servicemen have been involved in the military exercise in Oman - the largest in 15 years.

It is thought that most of the marines will move from Oman and live aboard the ships until any operations begin.

Britain has always said it would respond positively to US requests for assistance, which so far have included launching cruise missiles from nuclear submarines and help in refuelling and reconnaissance work.

The Chief of Defence Staff Admiral Sir Michael Boyce told Tuesday's press conference: "We have already supported a very large number of sorties from the American air force and US navy air force and we will continue to do so with our reconnaissance assets and our air-to-air refuelling assets."

He said that the military campaign was a "developing situation" and if forces in Oman were deployed account would need to be paid to the need for some troops to come home for retraining and rest.

Winter coming

He accepted that the onset of winter from the end of November would make land operations inside Afghanistan more difficult.

But he said that the type of raid carried out by US Special Forces on Friday could continue throughout the season.

And he said that the US-led coalition would be able to maintain its air superiority over the winter.

Downing Street has already indicated that there have been "detailed discussions" with the United States over the use of UK forces in "overt" operations.

Mr Hoon has already said the UK has troops ready to go at very short notice.

But if and when British troops are called upon, the commander-in-chiefs have said they will be ready for the long haul.

Speaking from Oman, Naval officer Rear Admiral Alan West, Commander-in-Chief of fleet, said: "I have taken the prime minister at his word that it will go on for years, because I think it will.

"I have looked at how to maintain levels of commitment for years."

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Paul Adams
outlines the role the British military could play in Afghanistan
Geoff Hoon, Defence Secretary
"We always have troops ready to go at very short notice"
The BBC's Andrew Burroughs
"They did bring fresh word on action against Osama Bin Laden"

Key stories

Background

War view

TALKING POINT

FORUM

SPECIAL REPORTS
See also:

22 Oct 01 | UK
Elite UK troops stand by
20 Oct 01 | UK Politics
US strikes 'effective', says Straw
19 Oct 01 | UK Politics
'Suspend the bombing'
20 Oct 01 | South Asia
Analysis: Military campaign so far
22 Oct 01 | UK Politics
Straw to outline Afghan vision
22 Oct 01 | UK Politics
Dissent over 'war' allowed insists Hoon
11 Oct 01 | UK
UK's mountain warfare elite
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories