| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 14:29 GMT 15:29 UK
Blessed urges return to Beacons
Brian Blessed gave the Beacons a boost with his visit
Tourist attractions in mid Wales have been boosted by actor and national parks president Brian Blessed, who has urged visitors to return to the Brecon Beacons.
Visitor attractions have been seriously hit by foot-and-mouth restrictions in the past six months. Business operators are also concerned at the potential side effect of the terrorist attacks on the US last month.
Mr Blessed's Beacons visit coincides with the publication of figures which show the Welsh tourism industry will face losses of £280m by the end of the year. The research carried out by the Wales Tourist Board has found that tourism spending in Wales during the first six months of the year plummeted by 15%, or £182m. The report says the sharp decline was entirely due to foot-and-mouth disease. The prolonged effects of the farming crisis and the decline in travel caused by the 11 September atrocities are expected to lead to the loss of a further £100m by the end of this year.
A WTB spokesman said: "We estimate a total loss of more than £280m by the end of 2001. Such an impact could place 10,000 direct jobs at risk, 10% of the workforce currently employed in tourism." "Taking evidence from figures on inbound tourism and trends since September 11, we estimate at the moment that Wales will see an overall decline of 15% in international tourism to Wales during 2002 - a loss of £40m." However, the board said there was already evidence to suggest British residents are now less inclined to holiday abroad and that could generate growth in the UK market next year. During a visit to an indoor climbing centre in the Beacons, Mr Blessed backed efforts to encourage more visitors to spend breaks in mid Wales. Ad campaign "These are beautiful mountains, they are not frightening, and they are accessible from London. You can reach here so quickly from the M4," said Mr Blessed. To combat the down-turn in the tourism industry the WTB is planning a television advertising campaign aimed at capitalising on the trend and "putting Wales at the top of British residents' holiday agendas". Around 80% of visitors to Wales come from within the UK, around 11 million a year. More than 50% of tourism businesses have reported an increase in last minute bookings within the UK. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|