BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 12:52 GMT 13:52 UK
Japanese families to visit wreck site
Divers are lifted into the water from the deck of the Crowley 450 barge above the wreck site
Japan has thanked the Navy for its rescue efforts
The families of the nine Japanese men and boys who were killed when their fishing boat was accidentally sunk by a US submarine are to visit the area where divers are working to recover the remains.

Six bodies have been recovered from the wreck of Ehime Maru, but divers have so far failed to find the other three.

It is thought at least two of them were swept away when the 190-foot (38-metre) training vessel sank off the Hawaiian island of Oahu in February.

Identified bodies
Toshimichi Furuya, 47, chief engineer
Hirotaka Segawa, 60, chief radio operator
Toshiya Sakashima, 17, student
Katsuya Nomoto, 17, student
Hiroshi Nishida, 49, first engineer
There was outrage in Japan when it emerged that the boat had been hit by a surfacing submarine, the USS Greeneville, during a demonstration of an emergency drill.

Lieutenant Commander Neil Sheehan, the Navy's liaison officer for the Japanese families, said officials would take the victims' families by boat to view the salvage area on Tuesday.

DNA tests

The nine victims - two teachers, four 17-year-old students and three crewmen - were from a fisheries high school in Uwajima, Japan. Twenty-six people survived the sinking.

Map showing where the accident happened
Five of the bodies have been identified using dental records but the remains of the sixth individual - recovered on Saturday - were in such poor condition that a lengthy DNA investigation may be required to identify them.

The US Navy has spent $60m on the recovery operation. After months of preparation the Navy last week towed the boat to 35-metre-deep (115-feet) shallows so divers could enter the vessel.

By Monday almost half of the boat had been searched, said the divers' supervisor, Captain Christopher Murray. The search should be finished in about 10 days, he said.

After that, divers will work to recover personal effects, and then the Ehime Maru will be taken more than 10km (six miles) out to sea and allowed to sink.

On Monday Japan's parliamentary secretary for foreign affairs, Toshio Kojima, repeated an earlier statement thanking the US for its efforts to recover the bodies.

See also:

23 Oct 01 | Americas
In pictures: Underwater search
21 Oct 01 | Americas
Six bodies found on Japanese ship
16 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Sub tragedy leaves Japanese town bitter
16 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Sub tragedy: How drill turned to disaster
14 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Civilian was at US sub controls
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories