BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 12:25 GMT 13:25 UK
Pensioner survives home blast
Ruined home
The elderly occupant was not injured in the huge blast
An 83-year-old woman had a miraculous escape on Tuesday when her bungalow was ripped apart by a gas explosion.

The woman, Jane Potts, was at her home in Redcar Road, Sunderland, Wearside, when the explosion happened at 0510 BST.

Housing officials said the woman answered the front door to emergency services totally unaware half of her one-bedroom bungalow had been demolished by the blast.

She was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital as a precaution but was released without treatment and went to stay with relatives.

'Totally unaware'

Ian Hunter, assistant housing manager for Sunderland Housing Group, said: "It was a gas explosion and it is being investigated.

"The lady was initially taken to hospital but is recovering, having not suffered a scratch.

"She answered the door after this had happened, totally unaware of what was happening."

demolished bungalow
The cause of the gas blast is being investigated

The bungalow was sealed off and Health and Safety officials were examining the damage.

Andrew Griffiths, area housing manager for the Sunderland Housing Group, said it was a "miracle" that Mrs Potts had escaped unhurt.

The back window of the building was blown almost 40 feet into a grassed area at the back of the property.

Remains demolished

Mr Griffiths confirmed the incident had been caused by a gas explosion but said it was too early to identify the exact cause.

Mrs Potts and her family did not want to speak to the media about the incident, he said.

Workmen are making the area safe and it is thought that the rest of the bungalow will have to be demolished.

An elderly couple, aged 76 and 80, who live in the adjoining bungalow, were taken to hospital as a precaution but were not injured and their home was not damaged in the blast.


Click here to go to BBC Tyne Online
See also:

23 Oct 00 | Scotland
Gas blast couple die in hospital
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories