| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 10:15 GMT 11:15 UK
Battle for Afghan stronghold
The US has attacked Taleban front lines for three days
Afghanistan's anti-Taleban opposition say they have launched a new offensive on the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, as US warplanes continue to pound front lines north of the capital, Kabul.
Another key alliance commander, Mohammed Atta, said his men had launched a joint ground and air attack overnight on Keshendeh, 70 kilometres (40 miles) south of Mazar.
After a day-long respite for Kabul itself, American bombing resumed on Tuesday, with residents reporting three loud explosions after midnight and a further two bombs dropped at dawn.
Click here for map of the battlegrounds
Taleban anti-aircraft guns opened fire mid-morning as warplanes passed overhead again, possibly heading for further bomb runs at the front lines.
The last time Kabul was hit, the Taleban artillery was silent, leading to speculation over damage to their air defences in the bombing.
In other developments:
The Taleban fired two rockets at Charikar, the NA-held town nearest to the Kabul front line, both of which fell into crowded streets in the city centre killing several people - the first such attack in several weeks.
Five people are reported to have died when US jets bombed a convoy of fuel tanker trucks bringing fuel to the southern city of Kandahar. The Taleban Information Ministry also said a US bomb fell on a mosque in the western city of Herat, killing people praying inside. This follows US denials on Monday that American bombs had hit a hospital in the same city killing about 100 people. The American Defence Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, has said the US attacks on Taleban front lines in support of the opposition are a "logical progression" of the American-led military campaign. New focus Speaking on Monday at a Pentagon news conference, Mr Rumsfeld confirmed that US warplanes had begun bombing Taleban troops north of Kabul and near Mazar-e-Sharif on Sunday.
The US campaign against the Taleban began more than two weeks ago after they refused to hand over Osama Bin Laden - whom the US accused of masterminding last month's terror attacks on New York and Washington - and key members of his al-Qaeda network. On Monday, Mr Rumsfeld also said the US was working with both the Northern Alliance and tribes in southern Afghanistan to strengthen opposition to the Taleban. The US has urged the Northern Alliance to occupy more ground before the onset of winter.
Secretary of State Colin Powell said last week that Washington wants the Northern Alliance to take Mazar-e-Sharif, whose large airport could be used as a base for operations by US forces.
But he added that the US was still continuing discussions about whether a rebel march into Kabul would be "the best thing".
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|