BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 02:35 GMT 03:35 UK
Kuwait fears Bin Laden funding link
Kuwait City
Kuwait has dozens of Islamic charities, not all regulated
Frank Gardner

Kuwait's Information Minister Sheikh Ahmad Fahd al-Ahmad al-Sabah says his government believes some Kuwaitis have been trying to send money to Osama Bin Laden's organisation, al-Qaeda.


Up to one-fifth of Kuwaiti donations could have been sent to organisations now blacklisted in the international campaign against terror

Western diplomats
Speaking to the BBC in Kuwait on Monday, he said Kuwait was now trying to regulate certain Islamic charities which pro-Western Kuwaitis suspect have been funding terror.

Kuwait has a problem. It has dozens of Islamic charities, some regulated, some not, and the government does not know where their donations have been going.

The information minister said that while there was no evidence against the main charities, his government believed some people had been privately trying to raise money and send it to those who cause terrors.

Liability

Kuwait's pro-Western liberals agree, saying the numerous Islamic charity booths set up on the street have been secretly chanelling money to Osama Bin Laden's organisation.

They want them closed down as a national liability.

They point to Osama Bin Laden's spokesman, the Kuwaiti-born Sulaiman Abu Ghaith, as an example of what they call the "enemy in their midst".

But Kuwait's Islamists reject the charge.

They say the liberals are just using this issue to score political points over their parliamentary rival.

Heads of charities say they welcome government scrutiny, insisting that their money goes to worthy causes, such as rebuilding Muslim communities in Kosovo and helping Palestinian orphans.

But privately, Western diplomats believe that while most donations are harmless, up to one fifth of Kuwaiti donations could have been sent to organisations now blacklisted in the international campaign against terror.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's James Reynolds in Jerusalem
"Tank fire hit the school"
UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw
"It is a deeply depressing situation"
Said Abu Rish, Palestinian writer and author of
The Rise, Corruption and Coming Fall of the House of Saud
See also:

22 Oct 01 | UK Politics
'Net closing' on Bin Laden
21 Oct 01 | South Asia
Eliminate Bin Laden, CIA told
17 Oct 01 | Middle East
Bin Laden makes media offer
16 Oct 01 | Middle East
Israel may accept Palestinian state
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories