| You are in: UK | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 12:49 GMT 13:49 UK
UK troops 'to join ground force'
UK troops can be deployed at short notice
More than 1,000 British troops are being prepared for deployment in any potential ground war in Afghanistan, senior defence sources have told the BBC.
About 600 Royal Marine Commandos and several hundred special forces currently on a pre-planned exercise in Oman will not return to the UK at the end of the training next week. At least four Royal Navy and Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships will also stay behind. The size of the force involved suggests British troops will play a much bigger role in any offensive.
It is thought that most of the marines will move from Oman and live aboard the ships until any operations begin. Britain has always said it would respond positively to US requests for assistance, which so far have included launching cruise missiles from nuclear submarines and help in refuelling and reconnaissance work. But a Military Defence spokesman said the Americans had not yet requested further help and the possibility of sending British troops was "pure speculation". He said no decision had been taken on whether UK forces would be transferred from Oman or deployed in Afghanistan. Ground offensive Downing Street has indicated that there have been "detailed discussions" with the United States over the use of UK forces in "overt" operations. But British defence chiefs have said that they are ready for a long campaign. UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said the government had always said that sending British ground troops was an option. "We always have troops ready to go at very short notice," he said. Questioned whether Bin Laden would be specifically targeted by military action, the prime minister's official spokesman said: "It's not a video game, there are bound to be casualties - war is not a clean business."
But he declined to comment on speculation that SAS special forces were already on the ground in Afghanistan, where the US deployed troops on Friday. UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said he could not speculate about the timing of a possible deployment of ground troops. He said it was not usual to announce military dispositions in advance.
Clear strategy A Downing Street spokesman said the progress of military operations over the weekend demonstrated that the campaign was on track. But if and when British troops are called upon, the commander-in-chiefs have said they will be ready for the long haul. Speaking from Oman, Naval officer Rear Admiral Alan West, Commander-in-Chief of fleet, said: "I have taken the prime minister at his word that it will go on for years, because I think it will.
"I have looked at how to maintain levels of commitment for years." Air Chief Marshal Sir John Dey, commander-in-chief of RAF Strike Command, added: "I don't think we can win a war by air power because at the end of the day, we have to put people on the ground. "What air power can do is prepare the conditions for people to go in on the ground."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|