BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 23 October, 2001, 08:03 GMT 09:03 UK
Guei demands aide's release
Former military leader Robert Guei with wife
Guei says he will not think of attending peace talks now

The political party close to the former Ivory Coast military ruler, Robert Guei, has demanded the release from custody of one of his aides, Captain Fabien Coulibaly, who's accused along with five others of being a threat to national security.

A spokesman for the party, the Union for Democracy and Peace in Cote d'Ivoire said that if Captain Coulibaly was not released within 72 hours then members of the party would march on the national reconciliation forum taking place in the capital, Abidjan.

The spokesman said that General Guei believes that the authorities are trying to prevent him from attending the forum by undermining his credibility on his association with Captain Coulibaly. Ivorian Defence Minister Moise Lida Kouassi said Captain Coulibaly is also accused of enticing military men to act against their obligations and duties.

The captain denies the authorities' accusations.

The defence minister said Captain Coulibaly had acknowledged that he met army people and gave them money, though he did not say what the money was for.

He said the captain denies asking for the key to a door of an ammunition depot.

The aide had arrived to prepare for the attendance of former military leader Robert Guei at reconciliation talks between the country's opposing factions.

Conference

Mr Guei seized power in a military coup in 1999, followed by flawed and violent elections last year, which left more than 300 people dead.

Guei ceded power to President Laurent Gbagbo after a popular uprising and now lives in seclusion in the west of the country.

The much-awaited national reconciliation forum got off to a disappointing start earlier this month after key figures failed to attend the opening.

Former President Henri Konan Bedie
Former President Bedie has returned to take part in peace talks
But the man toppled by Mr Guei in the coup, former President Henri Konan Bedie, finally returned for the talks on 15 October.

The third key player, leader of the main opposition Rally of Republicans Party, Alassane Ouattara, is not present although delegates from his party are attending.

Mr Ouattara, in exile in France, has been excluded from standing in presidential elections on the grounds that he is a foreigner, and says he will not attend the talks until this changes.

However, leaders in the region including the presidents of Ghana and Mali have been in the country to back President Laurent Gbagbo's efforts.

The conference was called to address the political crisis in what was once one of Africa's most stable countries.

And the Malian and Ghanaian leaders made impassioned pleas to the politicians of Ivory Coast to resolve their differences in the interests of the entire region.

See also:

16 Oct 01 | Africa
Ex-president back in Ivory Coast
09 Oct 01 | Africa
Key leaders snub Ivorian summit
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories