| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||
|
|
Monday, 22 October, 2001, 21:43 GMT 22:43 UK
Del Ponte accuses Belgrade of stalling
Del Ponte said the Milosevic handover was not enough
By Alix Kroeger in Belgrade
The chief UN war crimes prosecutor, Carla Del Ponte, has strongly criticised the Yugoslav Government for its failure to co-operate with the Hague tribunal.
She said there had been no movement forward on Yugoslavia's co-operation with The Hague. She said co-operation was not limited to the transfer of one accused - a reference to Yugoslavia's former President, Slobodan Milosevic, who was handed over to the tribunal in June. Kostunica factor Mrs Del Ponte wants access to documents, archives and witnesses, but she said there had been no serious progress.
But she strongly criticised the Yugoslav Federal Government for - as she put it - blocking co-operation for political reasons not connected with the tribunal. The party of Yugoslav President Vojislav Kostunica opposes co-operation with the tribunal on principle, and it was noticeable that Mrs Del Ponte's schedule did not include a meeting with the president. The prosecutor concluded by saying that the denial of access fostered the suspicion that certain people were not interested in establishing the truth. She appealed to the authorities to co-operate so that the tribunal could finish its work as soon as possible. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|