BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 20 October, 2001, 15:08 GMT 16:08 UK
Anthrax alert at mail office
Royal Mail offices
The incident happened at sorting office
Four people have been taken to hospital after another anthrax alert at a Royal Mail sorting office in Northern Ireland.

The Department of Health said a letter containing white powder burst open in the building at Mallusk, County Antrim, which was closed due to an anthrax scare earlier this week.

The latest incident took place on Saturday and the fire brigade were called. Police officers took the substance away for tests.

It is the latest anthrax scare in the province this week.

However, on Friday the Department of Health said the number of negative results in such scares in Northern Ireland had reached six.

The results of tests are due later
Anthrax scares have proved negative

The tests were carried out in a laboratory in England on white powder sent to two homes in Belfast and Tyrone, to post office depots in Belfast and Mallusk and to Derry City Council's offices.

They showed none of the substances tested was contaminated with anthrax.

Meanwhile, police in the Republic of Ireland questioned two men about an anthrax alert in County Wicklow on Friday morning.

It was also believed to have been a hoax.

The Social Security Agency said a number of benefit payments may have been delayed because of the alerts and people might not receive them until next week.

The Department of Health has said the risk from anthrax in Northern Ireland is very low.

However, in light of the incidents in Belfast and Derry, it has decided to set up a helpline to reassure members of the public. The helpline number is 02890 520738.

The RUC has urged anyone receiving suspicious mail to contact them for advice.

See also:

18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Anthrax threat 'low'
18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Letter sparks anthrax scare
18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
NI 'anthrax' inquiry continues
16 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Anthrax scare in Belfast
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories