BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 20 October, 2001, 15:28 GMT 16:28 UK
Kursk docking set for Sunday
Giant 4 barge in Roslyakovo port
The Kursk is for now suspended beneath a huge barge
The barge carrying the wreck of the Russian nuclear submarine Kursk is due to enter dry dock in the port of Murmansk on Sunday after a new delay in the recovery operation.

Russian and Dutch salvage teams decided to suspend work on moving the wreck on Saturday after it was decided that the operation would have to be modified, the Russian navy said.

Cables above Kursk
Raising the Kursk was seen as a technical triumph

The personnel involved are anxious to avoid any sudden moves as they bring in the 18,000-ton vessel, which is still carrying twin nuclear reactors and 22 Granit cruise missiles.

The Dutch salvage firm involved, Mammoet, has moved to allay fears about the reactors, saying that radiation levels are monitored 24 hours a day and there has been no problem so far.

The raising of the wreck on 8 October was seen as a triumph, especially as repeated setbacks had pushed the operation perilously close to the Arctic winter.

Investigation

Once the Kursk has been docked, operations will begin to recover weapons and bodies, and find out what went wrong.

The submarine sank to the bottom of the Barents Sea in August 2000, after suffering two on-board explosions.

All 118 men on board died, despite an international rescue effort.

Vice-Admiral Mikhail Motsak hugged by Kursk designer Igor Spassky
The success of the lifting was celebrated by senior officials

The bow, which remains on the seabed and is believed by many to hold the key to the explosions, is due to be recovered separately next year.

But the Russian naval officer directing the operation, Vice-Admiral Mikhail Barskov, has said that the bow is in such poor condition it cannot be lifted as a whole.

"It doesn't exist," he said.

He added that seven fragments of the bow had been removed when the main part of the submarine was lifted free.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Paul Royall
"It's been a long and delicate operation"
See also:

10 Oct 01 | Europe
Kursk reaches harbour
10 Oct 01 | Europe
Kursk success opens new risks
07 Aug 01 | Sci/Tech
New theory for Kursk sinking
11 Oct 01 | UK
'I helped raise the Kursk'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories