BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Saturday, 20 October, 2001, 14:48 GMT 15:48 UK
South America on anthrax alert
Postal workers in Sao Paulo's main mail sorting office in masks and gloves
The Brazilian authorities have stepped up precautions
A Brazilian laboratory says tests show a letter posted to the office of the New York Times newspaper in Rio de Janeiro did not contain anthrax as feared.

On Friday, the New York Times had said its correspondent in Rio de Janeiro received a letter from New York that tested positive for spores "consistent with anthrax".

The analysis by the Fiocruz laboratory in Rio came amid rising concern after the Argentine authorities confirmed that a letter there showed the presence of anthrax spores.

Argentine biologist handles bags containing suspect envelopes
The Argentine authorities say no one was exposed to spores from the tainted letter
Before then, Kenya had been the only country besides the United States to confirm that the potentially deadly anthrax bacterium was in a letter.

All four employees in the Rio office were tested for anthrax and given antiobiotics as a precaution, the newspaper said.

But the president of the Fiocruz laboratory, Paulo Buss, said: "The culture carried out on the material that arrived at the New York Times office tested negative for the anthrax germ."

Argentine fears

In a nationally televised news conference on Friday, Argentina's Health Minister Hector Lombardo said that a travel brochure mailed from Miami tested positive for anthrax spores.

But he said the woman who received the suspicious letter did not open it and neither she nor anyone else had been exposed.

"We are working with the postal authorities and we are setting up a room to sterilise all letters with a dubious origin," the ministe said.

In the United States, so far eight people have been diagnosed with an anthrax infection.

Earlier in the week, the Kenyan Government said four people had been exposed to anthrax bacteria in a letter posted from the US.

See also:

20 Oct 01 | World
In pictures: anthrax alert
18 Oct 01 | Americas
Bio-labs face tight security
17 Oct 01 | Americas
Anthrax: Vehicle for spreading fear
17 Oct 01 | Americas
Using anthrax as a weapon
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories