BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 15:35 GMT 16:35 UK
UN in Horn bodies appeal
UN monitor
The rotting corpses are hampering UN peacekeepers
By Nita Bhalla in Addis Ababa

The United Nations has appealed to Ethiopia and Eritrea to collect the bodies of hundreds of dead soldiers from the front lines between the two countries.


These are the remains of human beings, who had families, who had countries, and who were people

UN spokesman Jean Victor

The UN peacekeeping mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (Unmee) said the two countries should respect their war dead.

More than a year has passed since Ethiopia and Eritrea signed a ceasefire agreement ending a brutal two-and-a-half-year border conflict.

But the corpses of those who perished in bloody battles, which cost up to 100,000 lives, are still scattered throughout the buffer zone separating the two neighbours.

The UN also said the rotting corpses are posing a serious health threat to peacekeepers, who are mandated to monitor and patrol the entire security area.

Mortal remains

According to Unmee, the remains of at least 300 dead soldiers are still lying out in the open.

Most died early last year, when some of the fiercest battles took place on the eastern Bure-Assab front.

Zalambessa
Hundreds of bodies were abandoned when hostilities ended

For months now, the UN has been requesting both Ethiopia and Eritrea to come and reclaim the mortal remains, but so far neither party has come forward.

"These remains should be considered properly," UN spokesman Jean Victor told a video-link news conference from the Eritrean capital Asmara on Friday.

"These are the remains of human beings, who had families, who had countries, and who were people," he said.

"They should be given all the respect that they deserve".

Practical problems

Unmee says the bodies are also posing practical problems to the peacekeeping mission.

Aside from the serious health risk posed to UN troops, especially now that the rainy season has arrived, the bodies are also hampering demining operations.

Due to the prolonged period of exposure, it is also becoming increasingly difficult to ascertain which army different bodies belonged to.

Both sides deny that the soldiers belong to them, claiming that they have retrieved and buried all their dead.

But Unmee says this is not the case and recently took journalists into the Temporary Security Zone to see the rotting remains of hundreds of young men.

The soldiers signed up in the prime of their lives to fight for their country, but now that their value has diminished, it seems they have been abandoned.

See also:

08 Oct 01 | Africa
Eritrea denies preparing for war
23 Sep 01 | Africa
Ethiopia-Eritrea truce worries UN
20 Jun 01 | Africa
Eritrea reveals human cost of war
02 Oct 01 | Africa
Eritrea plays down diplomatic row
25 Apr 01 | Africa
Tough return for Eritreans
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories