BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 14:12 GMT 15:12 UK
No further Kenya anthrax letters
Hazchem worker being hosed down
Many countries have been taking precautions
Kenyan Health Minister Sam Ongeri has said two letters sent to a United Nations complex in the capital, Nairobi, have tested negative for anthrax.

Mr Ongeri said four other suspicious letters had also been tested and found to be free of the bacteria.


We would like to ask all Kenyans not to panic, but to remain calm

Sam Ongeri
Kenyan Health Minister

Kenya became the first country outside the United States, since the 11 September terror attacks, to confirm anthrax being sent through the post on Thursday.

Health officials say the recipient of the infected letter - described as an ordinary Kenyan citizen - is receiving treatment after testing positive for anthrax and three members of his family are being kept under observation.

The FBI is also being consulted about ways to combat bio-terrorism.

Atlanta postmark

Mr Ongeri said that the anthrax letter found in Nairobi had been posted in the US city of Atlanta on 8 September, and routed via Miami.

Sam Ongeri, Kenyan Health Minister
Ongeri: Government can deal with situation
The letter was received in Nairobi on 9 October and opened on 11 October.

Mr Ongeri called on Kenyans not to panic about the discovery.

"The government has the capacity and capability to deal with the situation," he said.

Concern about anthrax has been increasing worldwide, with six people now infected with the disease in the United States, one fatally.

Mounting concern about the US cases has triggered alerts and hoaxes around the world, with the Israeli parliament evacuated along with public buildings in Europe, Africa and New Zealand.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's George Eykyn
"It came as powder in a letter to a Kenyan, posted from Atlanta, Georgia"
The BBC's Andrew Harding in Nairobi
"Mr Ongeri said it was inappropriate to reveal the identity of the person who received the letter"
Kenyan Health Minister Sam Ongeri
"Further tests are being carried out"
See also:

18 Oct 01 | Africa
Kenya finds anthrax letter
17 Oct 01 | Americas
Anthrax: Vehicle for spreading fear
17 Oct 01 | Americas
Using anthrax as a weapon
16 Oct 01 | Americas
Tracking the anthrax spore
15 Oct 01 | Health
Q&A: Anthrax
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories