BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 14:34 GMT 15:34 UK
Police quiz witnesses over 1985 murder
Avenham Park
The body of Imraan Vohra was found in Avenham Park
Detectives investigating the murder of a nine-year-old boy 16 years ago are to re-interview witnesses.

The naked body of Imraan Ismial Vohra was discovered in undergrowth in Avenham Park, Preston, Lancashire, on 13 July 1985.

He had been sexually assaulted and strangled.

Officers from Lancashire Police have said they are going to re-interview 12 witnesses in an attempt to uncover more new information.


We are currently reviewing certain aspects of the initial inquiry, but I must stress that there is no new significant new information at this time

Detective Superintendent Mick Turner

Detective Superintendent Mick Turner said: "Although he was murdered more than 16 years ago, his death remains at the forefront of the minds of his family and the community.

"While this murder remains unsolved the investigation is not closed.

"We are currently reviewing certain aspects of the initial inquiry but I must stress that there is no significant new information at this time."

Imraan's death prompted extensive inquiries among the Asian community but police were unable to make an arrest.

During the original investigation, more than 6,000 people were spoken to, 2,500 statements taken and hundreds of items of evidence stored on a computer database.

New information

The 12 witnesses detectives plan to re-interview were children themselves at the time of the murder.

They are hoping to establish whether they have any important information that was not made available to the original investigation team.

Mr Turner explained that it was a matter of procedure that the case be reviewed.

He said that it was last reviewed in 1995 and was now due a further examination.

He said: "This was a brutal murder made much worse because the victim was a defenceless nine-year-old boy.

"It was the type of crime that always shocks a community."


Click here to go to BBC Lancashire Online
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories