BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 12:31 GMT 13:31 UK
Taleban to offer truce plan
Afghan women and children cross into Pakistan on 18 October
The flood of refugees into Pakistan continues
The Taleban are to propose a new ceasefire plan to end the US-led air strikes on Afghanistan.

After returning from consultations in the Taleban stronghold of Kandahar, Taleban envoy Abdul Salam Zaeef told reporters in the Pakistani border town of Quetta that he would discuss the plan with Pakistani officials before giving details.


I have brought a plan with me...I will discuss it with Pakistani officials and disclose it afterwards

Abdul Salam Zaeef
Taleban ambassador
The diplomatic move - said to be approved by Taleban leader Mullah Mohammad Omar - came as the United States confirmed that a small number of US special forces are operating on the ground in southern Afghanistan.

A Pentagon official, who asked not be identified, said the operation was at a very early stage, but he indicated that more troops would follow to pursue the war against Osama Bin Laden and his Taleban protectors.

A Taleban official responded by saying their forces were ready and would relish the opportunity to avenge the past 12 days of air raids.

While it is not known what the ceasefire proposals are, ambassador Zaeef said the Taleban would not hand over Osama Bin Laden - a key demand by Washington.

The BBC's Susannah Price in Islamabad says some observers believe the Taleban are trying to be flexible, while others see their moves as a way to buy time.

In other developments:

Air strikes on the Afghan capital, Kabul, and the city of Kandahar have continued during daylight hours on the Muslim day of prayer - in contrast to last Friday, when the United States said it was making no planned raids on Afghanistan.

Click here for a map of Afghanistan's battle lines

US planes flying over Afghanistan have been broadcasting messages in local dialects warning people to stay off bridges and roads.

A commander for the opposition Northern Alliance says that eight US personnel are working with him near the strategic town of Mazar-e-Sharif, but there has been no confirmation from Washington.

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld told a Pentagon briefing on Thursday evening that intelligence reports suggested that air raids in recent days had inflicted more damage than earlier attacks, leaving Bin Laden's forces vulnerable.

"We have seen some movement of what we believe to be the al-Qaeda forces - and they have been specifically targeted while they were moving," Mr Rumsfeld said.

Video footage of US special forces in training
US special forces seen here in training for possible action
At least six civilians - including five members of one family - were killed in the capital Kabul during bombing on Thursday.

A senior Taleban spokesman, Abdul Hai Mutmaen, said on Thursday that between 600 and 900 people had been killed or were missing as a result of 12 days of US-led strikes on Afghanistan. The US admits some bombs have gone astray but says the Taleban's figure is far too high.

Aid agencies' appeal

For the first time, Mr Rumsfeld has spoken of helping to arm the Northern Alliance.

"They're going to have some help in food, they're going to have some help in ammunition, they're going to have some help in air support and assistance," he said.

A group of six international aid agencies has called for a pause in the air strikes to allow food supplies to be delivered before Afghanistan's severe winter sets in.

But the US denied on Thursday that its bombing was hampering the aid delivery, accusing the Taleban of disrupting its delivery.




Launch new window : Detailed map
Click here for a detailed map of the strikes so far

Click here to return

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Paul Adams
"Some British troops... could be used to back up US forces"
Defence analyst Paul Beaver
"They have probably landed quite a substantial force"
See also:

01 Oct 01 | Americas
Profile: US special forces
19 Oct 01 | South Asia
Bin Laden 'aide' killed in blast
19 Sep 01 | UK
The SAS: Primed for action
18 Sep 01 | South Asia
The Taleban military machine
18 Oct 01 | Americas
Life sentences for embassy bombers
19 Oct 01 | Europe
EU aims for unity on terror
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories