BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 16:10 GMT 17:10 UK
Chemical attack measures reviewed
Chemical suits
Planners have decided how to counter a chemical attack
The country's top planners have revised Scotland's response to a potential chemical or biological attack.

Ministers ordered the move after making calls for greater vigilance against the backdrop of anthrax cases in the US and hoaxes in Britain.

Friday's meeting of the Emergency Planners Society in Edinburgh included senior local authority chief executives, the military, health, police and fire chiefs, and representatives of utilities.

The group's conclusions will be used by the Scottish Executive to issue new emergency planning advice to local authorities.

Afterwards, an executive spokesman described the meeting as a "useful opportunity to examine the arrangements already in place in Scotland and to review the need for any further steps to be taken".

Anthrax
Anthrax has been used in the US

The spokesman said: "Obviously it would not be appropriate to discuss these matters in any detail.

"Today's meeting is entirely consistent with the continuing review of emergency planning procedures being conducted by the United Kingdom Government.

"The Scottish Executive and other public bodies will continue to feed into the emergency planning procedures for the UK.

"We will continue to monitor and evaluate the emergency procedures we have in place. New guidance is being issued to local authorities and health boards."

However, the spokesman stressed: "The point was made at the meeting that there is no particular threat against Scotland and that the public should continue with their normal daily lives but should also remain vigilant.


There remains no specific credible risk in the UK, but we have an obligation to be vigilant and well prepared

Scottish Executive spokesman
"While there is no evidence of a specific threat to Scotland, we have a duty to ensure such plans are well-prepared.

"And in light of the attacks of September 11 we will be issuing revised guidance to local authorities following the meeting of the Scottish Emergencies Co-ordinating Committee."

The spokesman said that advice had already been sent out to the NHS in Scotland, including GPs, on what to do if cases of anthrax were suspected.

He added: "We are implementing contingency plans to hold stocks of healthcare supplies and equipment in event of a biological or chemical threat.

"We will go on reviewing and renewing our plans. There remains no specific credible risk in the UK, but we have an obligation to be vigilant and well prepared."

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Scotland's Elizabeth Quigley
"Behind closed doors, emergency planners meet in Edinburgh"
See also:

18 Oct 01 | Americas
Bio-labs face tight security
17 Oct 01 | Americas
Anthrax: Vehicle for spreading fear
18 Oct 01 | Americas
Senate workers line up for tests
17 Oct 01 | Americas
Using anthrax as a weapon
16 Oct 01 | Americas
Tracking the anthrax spore
15 Oct 01 | Health
Q&A: Anthrax
18 Oct 01 | Africa
Kenya finds anthrax letter
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories