BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: England
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 12:45 GMT 13:45 UK
Dockyard fined £60,000 for asbestos exposure
Devonport Dockyard
The dockyard pleaded guilty to exposing asbestos
A company which refits warships and submarines for the Royal Navy in Plymouth has been ordered to pay £60,000 for exposing 24 workers to asbestos dust.

Devonport Management Limited (DML) was fined £50,000 plus £10,000 costs after admitted failing to discharge its duties under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act.

The men from subcontractors Try-Accord Limited and Lorne Stewart Limited had been brought in to refurbish a building at Devonport Dockyard between May and August last year.

They were told by Devonport Management Limited (DML) there was no record of asbestos.

But as they cut through walls the substance was released exposing three men in particular, but possibly 24 in total, to the highly poisonous dust.

Guilty plea

DML pleaded guilty to the offence at court in August.

Tests showed that on average over a three-day period between May and August last year, the men could have been exposed to twice the allowed amount of asbestos - and possibly as much as 90 times the safe levels.

In court, DML admitted its tests prior to renovation work had not been detailed enough but added that work was stopped as soon as the substance was discovered.

The Health and Safety Executive said the men exposed to the dust may develop asbestosis or cancer in up to 40 years time, but it was impossible to tell.


Click here to go to BBC Devon Online
See also:

12 Sep 01 | UK
Jet skis protect warships
03 Aug 01 | Scotland
Dockyard announces job cuts
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories