BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 07:10 GMT 08:10 UK
Divers search for Japanese victims
Remotely Operated Vehicle observes the sunken Ehime Maru
Divers have first been using cameras to search
US divers are continuing their search for the bodies of nine Japanese sailors and students who died when their fishing boat Ehime Maru was accidentally sunk by a US submarine in February.

Two bodies have been recovered, and a third one has been sighted, but the Navy has said it suspects up to four other bodies may have been swept away.

Map showing where the accident happened
The 190-foot (38-metre) training vessel sank off the Hawaiian island of Oahu when the USS Greeneville surfaced beneath it during a demonstration of an emergency drill.

Earlier this week it was towed to 35-metre-deep (115-feet) shallows so divers could enter the vessel - part of a $60m US operation to find the bodies.

On Thursday, the Honolulu medical examiner used dental records to identify the second body found as 17-year-old Katzuya Nomoto. He died of drowning, said examiner Kanthi von Guenthner.

The body of chief radio operator Hirotaka Segawa, 60, was identified on Wednesday. He had intended to retire at the end of the voyage.

Reprimand

Lieutenant Commander Neil Sheehan, the Navy's liaison officer for the Japanese families said the goal was "to search for bodies as quickly as possible."

 US Navy Commander Scott Waddle
The sub's commander, Scott Waddle, has retired
He has refused to give details about where exactly the third body was found, for fears of raising false hopes among the Japanese families. The relatives of the victims know roughly whereabouts the men and boys would have been on the boat.

The victims - two teachers, four 17-year-old students and three crewmen - were from a fisheries high school in Uwajima, Japan. Twenty-six people survived the sinking.

There was a public outcry in Japan over the accident, especially when it emerged that the submarine's commander was performing the surfacing drill for a group of civilian guests. Commander Scott Waddle was reprimanded at a final hearing into the accident and forced to retire.

The search could take up to a month. After that the Ehime Maru will be taken more than 10km (six miles) out to sea and allowed to sink.

See also:

18 Oct 01 | Americas
Divers find bodies in Japanese wreck
18 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Top-level inquiry into trawler sinking
17 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
US finds sunken Japanese trawler
16 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Sub tragedy leaves Japanese town bitter
16 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Sub tragedy: How drill turned to disaster
15 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Civilian: I was at crash sub's controls
14 Feb 01 | Asia-Pacific
Civilian was at US sub controls
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories