BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 15:34 GMT 16:34 UK
No terrorist link to pub bomb attack
Police investigating a nail bomb attack at a west London pub say it was not terrorist related.

Staff said it was a miracle no-one was injured after the explosion ripped through the Lady Margaret pub in Southall, on Thursday night.

Police are treating it as a local criminal matter, which was probably linked to an earlier shooting incident in Cranleigh Gardens, Southall, 200 yards away.

Superintendent Martin Horne said: "We have got no reason to believe that it was racist or terrorist motivated.

"At about 2150BST at Cranleigh Gardens, four men in a car fired a shotgun round at a man walking down the pavement.

"About an hour later a small explosive device went off outside the pub."


We have got no reason to believe that it was racist or terrorist motivated

Superintendent Martin Horne, Metropolitan Police
"We are regarding the two incidents as probably being linked.

"If there were people in Cranleigh Gardens about the time of the shooting or in or around the pub we would like to speak to them."

The device contained a black powder, which originated from fireworks and a substantial number of galvanised nails.

Police confirmed there had been a firearms incident near the pub but said there had been no reports of injuries.

There have been no arrests and police inquiries are continuing.

The force of the explosion at the entrance to the pub, in Lady Margaret Road at around 2250BST smashed windows and wrecked the door.

A couple of dozen regulars were still in the pub but no one was injured.

The pub was cordoned of as police bomb disposal experts spent several hours at the scene.

Frightening

Pub assistant manager Sue Day said: "It was very frightening.

"We were getting ready for closing and suddenly there was this loud bang.

"The windows went in the doorway and the pub filled with smoke.

"I have no idea why someone put the bomb there but it is a miracle no one was hurt."

Fire and ambulance crews were called to the scene but were not needed.

Customers were also allowed to leave shortly after the police arrived.

Ms Day added: "The door is very badly damaged and all the windows in the doorway shattered. It's a mess.

"It's just not something you expect to happen, especially when you are coming to the end of the night."

Deputy assistant commissioner Alan Fry, the head of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch, said: "This incident had the potential to cause injury and even death.

"It is made worse by the concerns that all people will have at this moment in regard to terrorist activity.

"Any use of explosives for whatever purpose in London will always be dealt with the utmost seriousness and it is essential those responsible be brought to justice."

Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories