BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Friday, 19 October, 2001, 20:01 GMT 21:01 UK
Six negative anthrax results for NI
Suspicious letters have lead to anthrax scares
Suspicious letters have lead to anthrax scares
The Department of Health has said the number of negative results in anthrax scares in Northern Ireland has reached six.

The Royal Mail's main sorting office in Northern Ireland remains closed after an anthrax alert on Wednesday.

Some post is still in the building at Mallusk in County Antrim but other deliveries are going ahead as normal.

The company says it is waiting for clearance from the Department of Health.

A fresh anthrax alert has also been reported in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland Chief Medical Officer Etta Campbell
Henrietta Campbell: Hoaxes could cost lives

It is understood a household at Windsor Crescent in Whitehead, County Antrim, received three envelopes containing some form of powder on Thursday.

The emergency services were called and the Department of Health said the necessary precautions had been taken. The envelopes have all been sent to England for analysis.

Meanwhile, police in the Republic of Ireland are questioning two men about an anthrax alert in County Wicklow on Friday morning.

The results of tests on the substance are not yet known, but it is believed to be a hoax.

Earlier on Thursday, it was confirmed that five previous anthrax alerts in Northern Ireland were hoaxes.

The tests were carried out in a laboratory in England on white powder sent to two homes in Belfast and Tyrone, to post office depots in Belfast and Mallusk and to Derry City Council's offices.

They showed none of the substances tested was contaminated with anthrax.

Speaking about the results of the tests, the Chief Medical Officer for Northern Ireland, Dr Henrietta Campbell, said: "We are very relieved that these suspect letters and packages were shown not to have been infected with anthrax."

Dr Campbell also said the risk of bio-terrorism in Northern Ireland remained low.

She said hoaxes could prevent the emergency services from saving lives and it was important people remained calm but vigilant as the situation unfolded.

Envelope

On Thursday, a County Tyrone man said his two children were petrified when they had to be treated in hospital after the family received an envelope containing white powder.

It was left at their home in Fintona on Wednesday evening while they were out.

Meanwhile, the Social Security Agency said a number of people may have benefit payments delayed because of the alerts and may not receive them until next week.

The Department of Health has said the risk from anthrax in Northern Ireland was very low.

However, in light of the incidents in Belfast and Derry, it has decided to set up a helpline to reassure members of the public. The helpline number is 02890 520738.

The RUC has urged anyone receiving suspicious mail to contact them for advice.

See also:

18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Anthrax threat 'low'
18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Letter sparks anthrax scare
18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
NI 'anthrax' inquiry continues
16 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Anthrax scare in Belfast
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories