| You are in: UK: Wales | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 18 October, 2001, 12:09 GMT 13:09 UK
Suspended sentence for rail deaths couple
Gareth Edwards (centre) arriving at Caernarfon Crown court
A couple convicted of manslaughter after their daughter and a friend were hit by a train as they played on a railway bridge in mid Wales have been given suspended sentences.
Sophie George, who was seven, and her eight-year-old friend Kymberley Allcock, were killed after being hit by a train while playing on a railway bridge near Aberystwyth fifteen months ago.
Gareth Edwards, 33, and his wife Amanda, 35, from Tre'r Ddol near Aberystwyth, were each given a twelve month suspended sentence at Caernarfon Crown Court on Thursday. The judge Mr Justice Richards said the couple had been convicted on the clearest evidence, but he acknowledged both of them had suffered greatly.l He said a custodial sentence was inappropriate and that because of the "truly exceptional circumstances" the sentence would be suspended. Amanda Edwards wept uncontrollably as the sentence was passed. On hearing the news Kymberley Allcock's father Tony said he intended to take it the case to the European courts and will consider a private prosecution.
"Its pathetic and ludicrous. Where is the justice? They killed 2 girls and get 12 months suspended. "I will not let this rest - I owe it to my dead daughter." They couple, who have separated following the tragedy, were found guilty at Swansea Crown Court in July of the manslaughter through gross negligence of the two girls. The youngsters were killed by a commuter train while playing unsupervised on a railway bridge at Borth near Aberystwyth on 29 July 2000. They had been taken on a picnic by Sophie's stepfather Gareth Edwards and her mother Amanda Edwards with the girls' two brothers and the couple's young babies.
The jury heard the two girls were later playing in the estuary. At some point they went up onto the track and were dropping stones into the water when they were hit by a high-speed train. The Edwards were said to have been sitting just yards from the scene of the accident but facing the opposite direction. The prosecution at the trial said the couple had displayed "staggering negligence" in allowing the children to play on the line. The couple have been on bail awaiting sentence since their conviction. Earlier this month Railtrack and the Countryside Council for Wales (CCW) were sent for trial over the deaths of the two girls. The organisations have both denied allegations of health and safety breaches in relation to the fatal accident.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|