BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Northern Ireland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 18 October, 2001, 14:01 GMT 15:01 UK
Anthrax threat 'low'
Suspicious letters have lead to anthrax scares
Suspicious letters have lead to anthrax scares
The chief medical officer has insisted the risk of bio-terrorism in Northern Ireland remains low.

Dr Henrietta Campbell was speaking after a number of anthrax alerts in Belfast and Londonderry on Wednesday.

Tests are being carried out on parcels full of white powder discovered in several locations but, so far, no links to anthrax have been made.

Dr Campbell said hoaxes could prevent the emergency services from saving lives and it was important people remain calm but vigilant as the situation unfolds.

Scare was hoax

Meanwhile, it has emerged that the first scare in the province was a hoax.

Northern Ireland Chief Medical Officer Etta Campbell
Etta Campbell: Hoaxes could cost lives
Margaret Kelly and her two-year-old grandson, Tom, were treated with antibiotics after white powder was found inside a card sent to her home in the Falls Road area of Belfast on Tuesday.

The police contacted Mrs Kelly on Thursday to tell her that after analysis by a laboratory in England it was confirmed that the white powder did not contain anthrax.

She said they did not tell her what the substance was, just that it had been a hoax.

Suspect package at BBC

On Thursday morning the police and fire service were called to the BBC offices in Belfast just to investigate a suspect package.

The investigation is continuing.

Earlier on Thursday, a County Tyrone man said his two children were petrified when they had to be treated in hospital after the family received an envelope containing white powder.

It was left at their home in Fintona on Wednesday evening while they were out.

George Burke said his children were too frightened to go back to the house after being released from the hospital.

Speaking to BBC Radio Ulster on Thursday he said: "My daughter is only 11-years-old. My son is nine years old.

"What they had to go through was horrific. They had to get hosed down in the clothes they stood in and then they had to strip naked and were put into white suits.

"The ambulance service drove us to Tyrone County Hospital where we were examined and given antibiotics."


What they had to go through was horrific

George Burke

Mr Burke said that although it was a very frightening experience for his children, the emergency services were right to take strict precautions.

Postal disruption

The Post Office said postal deliveries in Northern Ireland will be disrupted on Thursday because of two anthrax alerts at sorting offices.

Seven postal workers were decontaminated after a suspect package was found at the Mallusk office on Wednesday. Three hundred workers were moved out of the building.

Belfast's main depot at Tomb Street was also evacuated after a scare there.

About 700 people were moved out of the mail sorting office after white powder was found in a letter handled by two members of staff.

In a separate incident, the offices of Derry City Council were evacuated following the discovery of a letter containing white powder.

Up to 180 people left their offices at Strand Road at about 1015 BST and the emergency services attended the scene.

A suspicious envelope was also delivered to the offices of Raytheon, an American company in the Science and Technology Park in Derry.

It did not contain anthrax.

The Department of Health said the risk from anthrax in Northern Ireland was very low.

However, in light of the incidents in Belfast and Derry, it has decided to set up a helpline to reassure members of the public. The helpline number is 02890 520738.

The RUC has urged anyone receiving suspicious mail to contact them for advice.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC NI's Julia Paul:
"None of the tests on the packages which have caused the scares have been returned"
George Burke:
"This was a very frightening experience for my children"
See also:

18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Letter sparks anthrax scare
18 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
NI 'anthrax' inquiry continues
16 Oct 01 | Northern Ireland
Anthrax scare in Belfast
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Northern Ireland stories