| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 18 October, 2001, 07:29 GMT 08:29 UK
Letter sparks anthrax scare
Workers were de-contaminated at postal depots
A County Tyrone man and his two children have been treated in hospital after receiving an envelope containing white powder.
It was left at the family's home in Fintona on Wednesday evening while they were out. George Burke said his children were too frightened to go back to the house after being released from the hospital. Speaking to BBC Radio Ulster on Thursday he said: "My daughter is only 11-years-old. My son is nine years old. "What they had to go through was horrific. They had to get hosed down in the clothes they stood in and then they had to strip naked and were put into white suits.
Mr Burke said that although it was a very frightening experience for his children, the emergency services were right to take strict precautions. He said he felt very lucky that his local hospital - which is under threat of closure - was still open. It would have been even more distressing for his children if they had had to drive to the nearest main hospital in Craigavon or Londonderry, he said. The preliminary results from Northern Ireland's first alert, at a house on the Falls Road in west Belfast, are expected on Thursday. Postal disruption Meanwhile, the Post Office has said postal deliveries in Northern Ireland will be disrupted on Thursday because of two anthrax alerts at sorting offices. Seven postal workers were decontaminated after a suspect package was found at the Mallusk office. Three hundred workers were moved out of the building on Wednesday night. Belfast's main depot at Tomb Street was also evacuated after a scare there. About 700 people were moved out of the mail sorting office after white powder was found in a letter handled by two members of staff. About 40 people were taken to hospital and the fire service set up a decontamination area at the back of the building. On Wednesday, more than 50 people were treated in hospital after three separate anthrax scares across Northern Ireland.
In a separate incident, the offices of Derry City Council were evacuated following the discovery of a letter containing white powder. Up to 180 people left their offices at Strand Road at about 1015 BST and the emergency services attended the scene. The workers were decontaminated at the scene by fire crews in chemical protection suits. The room where the letter was sent was sealed off. A suspicious envelope was also delivered to the offices of Raytheon, an American company in the Science and Technology Park in Derry. It did not contain anthrax. Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderrry said eight people had been treated in its casualty department and all were issued with precautionary antibiotics. Meanwhile, four staff at the Independent Newspaper offices in Dublin had medical examinations after coming into contact with a suspect package. The letter, which was delivered to the company's Dublin offices, was not opened and was removed by the Irish army. The Department of Health said the risk from anthrax in Northern Ireland was very low. However, in light of the incidents in Belfast and Derry, it has decided to set up a helpline to reassure members of the public. The helpline number is 02890 520738. The RUC has urged anyone receiving suspicious mail to contact them for advice. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|