BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Thursday, 18 October, 2001, 07:30 GMT 08:30 UK
Pair face rail deaths sentencing
Borth railway bridge near Aberystwyth
The children had been played a game on the bridge
A couple convicted of manslaughter after their daughter and a friend were hit by a train as they played on a railway bridge in mid Wales are to be sentenced later.

Sophie George, who was seven, and her eight-year-old friend Kymberley Allcock, were killed after being hit by a train while playing on a railway bridge near Aberystwyth fifteen months ago.

Kymberly Allcock
Kymberly Allcock, one of the girls who died

Gareth Edwards, 33, and his wife Amanda, 35, from Tre'r Ddol near Aberystwyth, were found guilty at Swansea Crown Court in July of the manslaughter through gross negligence of their daughter Sophie George and Kymberley Allcock.

The girls were killed by a commuter train while playing on a railway bridge at Borth near Aberystwyth on 29 July of last year.

They had been taken on a picnic by Sophie's stepfather Gareth Edwards and her mother Amanda Edwards with the girls' two brothers and the couple's young babies.

The jury at Swansea Court heard the two girls were later playing in the estuary.

At some point they went up onto the track and were dropping stones into the water when they were hit by a high-speed train.

The Edwards were said to have been sitting just yards from the scene of the accident but facing the opposite direction.

The prosecution at the trial said the couple had displayed "staggering negligence" in allowing the children to play on the line.

Judge Mr Justice Richards adjourned sentencing warning that "all options", including prison, were open to him as punishment.

Sentencing will take place at Caernarfon Crown Court on Thursday.

Civil prosecution

The couple have been on bail awaiting sentence since their conviction.

Earlier this month Railtrack and the Countryside Council for Wales (CCW) were sent for trial over the deaths of the two girls.

The organisations have both denied allegations of health and safety breaches in relation to the fatal accident.

After the trial the father of the second girl who died Tony Allcock, said he would pursue a civil prosecution against the couple.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Wales's Colette Hume
"The two girls were lying on the track dropping stones into the water below"
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories