| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 18 October, 2001, 06:58 GMT 07:58 UK
NI 'anthrax' inquiry continues
Workers have been de-contaminated in special tents
The authorities in Northern Ireland are continuing their investigations into four anthrax alerts.
Preliminary results from the first alert are expected on Thursday. Hundreds of workers at Mallusk postal depot on the outskirts of Belfast were evacuated from the building following the discovery of a suspect package and envelope on Wednesday. Seven people in the room at the time were quarantined on the advice of the emergency services. Earlier on Wednesday, more than 50 people were treated in hospital after three separate anthrax scares across Northern Ireland. White powder Almost 1,000 people were moved from offices in Belfast and Londonderry after the discovery of white powder in the mail. About 700 people were moved out of the mail sorting office in Tomb Street, Belfast, after white powder was found in a letter handled by two members of staff. About 40 people were taken to hospital and the fire service set up a de-contamination area at the back of the building.
In a separate incident, the offices of Derry City Council were evacuated following the discovery of a letter containing white powder. Up to 180 people left their offices at Strand Road at about 1015 BST and the emergency services attended the scene. The workers were decontaminated at the scene by fire crews in chemical protection suits. The room where the letter was sent was sealed off. A suspicious envelope was also delivered to the offices of Raytheon, an American company in the Science and Technology Park in Derry. It did not contain anthrax. Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderrry said eight people had been treated in its casualty department and all were issued with precautionary antibiotics. Meanwhile, four staff at the Independent Newspaper offices in Dublin had medical examinations after coming into contact with a suspect package. The letter, which was delivered to the company's Dublin offices, was not opened and was removed by the Irish army. The developments came after a west Belfast woman said she feared she had been sent anthrax in the post. Margaret Kelly and her two-year-old grandson, Tom, were treated with antibiotics after white powder was found inside a card sent to her home in the Falls Road area. The powder was sent to England for analysis and the first test results are due on Thursday.
The Department of Health said the risk from anthrax in Northern Ireland was very low. However, in light of the incidents in Belfast and Derry, it has decided to set up a helpline to reassure members of the public. The helpline number is 02890 520738. The RUC has urged anyone receiving suspicious mail to contact them for advice. The Home Office said on Tuesday there was no intelligence to suggest there was a "specific threat" to Britain from biological or chemical attack.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|