| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 17 October, 2001, 18:02 GMT 19:02 UK
Top chef wins 'racist' sacking case
Managers at Via Fossa in Cardiff Bay denied the claims
An award-winning chef has won his case for unfair dismissal after claiming bosses at a top restaurant branded him "monkey boy."
Former Wales Chef of the Year Paul Ford claimed he was the target of racial discrimination by the husband and wife owners of the £1.5m Via Fossa in Cardiff Bay.
But Mr Ford is now set to be awarded a big compensation payout. The mixed-race 36-year-old from Cardiff, who had worked under television chef Gordon Ramsay at his London restaurant Aubergine, protested he was also called "jungle boy" and "jalfrezi." 'Military restaurant' In July, the tribunal heard restaurant owner and former army sergeant Ian Kirkwood and wife ran the Via Fossa "like a military establishment." Mr Ford, who won the Welsh cooking accolade in 1998, was just five weeks into the job when he made the complaints.
Along with restaurant owners Scottish and Newcastle Retail Ltd, the couple had denied the allegations. But, in a July hearing, fellow chef Michael Yates told the tribunal Mrs Kirkwood had said he would never get another job "because he was black." Mr Yates said there was "nothing wrong" with the chef's hygiene, despite Mr Kirkwood's claim the dismissal was carried out entirely on hygienic grounds. 'Wrongfully dismissed' The tribunal decided, however, that Mr Ford had been "racially abused, racially victimised and wrongfully dismissed." Tribunal chairman Philip Davies said: "The purported reason for the dismissal that Mr Ford failed to put the sauces into refrigeration was just an excuse to dismiss him." Scottish and Newcastle Ltd is considering appealing the decision.
"We have an excellent reputation as an extremely good employer." After the hearing, Mr Ford, of the St Mellons area of Cardiff, said: "I'm delighted at winning. I always knew I had a good case." At a July hearing, he told the tribunal the remarks had left him "shocked and upset" "I've been offered work but I feel like everyone's talking about me behind my back," he said. "It really hit my confidence because I trusted Ian and Gaynor. I can't trust anyone now." The compensation amount is due to be decided at a hearing later in the year. |
See also:
Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|