| You are in: World: South Asia | ||||
|
|
Wednesday, 17 October, 2001, 12:55 GMT 13:55 UK
Pakistan alert over India 'threat'
Pakistan says its forces have been put on high alert in response to Indian troop movements.
Military spokesman Major General Rashid Qureshi said Pakistani forces were ready to "thwart any attempt at mischief or misadventure". He said Pakistan had information that India had moved some troops and air force assets "which may prove to be a threat." He did not give any other details. And the Indian Foreign Ministry has dismissed the reports as "absolutely untrue".
Earlier this week, India shelled at least 11 Pakistani posts on the Line of Control that separates the two sides in the disputed territory of Kashmir. India have fought two wars over Kashmir since 1947 and came close to a third in the summer of 1999. |
Top South Asia stories now:
Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||
Links to more South Asia stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|