BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Tuesday, 16 October, 2001, 10:53 GMT 11:53 UK
New delay in Estrada trial
Joseph Estrada in court on Monday
Estrada's lawyers have been accused of delaying tactics
A court in the Philippines has cancelled the next hearings in the corruption trial of disgraced former President Joseph Estrada.

The Sandiganbayan court had been due to sit on Wednesday and Thursday this week, but on Tuesday the hearings were called off because of a series of motions filed by the defence.

No new date was given.

Mr Estrada is charged with plundering $80m during his 30 months in power, and for concealing his assets.

The 64-year-old former movie star denies all the charges and has said he does not expect to get a fair trial. Last month he turned up in court in slippers, apparently under duress, and without his lawyers.

One of the reasons for the current delay is because Mr Estrada's lawyers are arguing that the 1 October hearing be nullified. They said they could not attend that hearing because of conflicting schedules, and that Mr Estrada was therefore not properly represented.

Invitation refused

Mr Estrada gave up the chance for a few hours freedom on Tuesday to attend a reunion of political colleagues.

A court order had allowed Mr Estrada, a former senator, to attend a senate reunion to mark the anniversary of its founding.

"It will just be picture taking so I decided not to go," said Mr Estrada, speaking by telephone from the military hospital where he is being treated for arthritis and a lung complaint.

"The one million pesos [more than $19,300] they will spend for security arrangements for me will just be a waste of money," he said.

The current senate includes Mr Estrada's wife, Luisa Ejercito, who was elected in May on a wave of sympathy for her husband, who was toppled in January after a popular revolt.

See also:

03 Oct 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada gets break from new charges
01 Oct 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada plays trial cat and mouse
27 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada refuses to plead
20 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada to stay in hospital
14 Jun 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada 'at risk in prison'
21 May 01 | Asia-Pacific
Arroyo's Estrada prison 'deal' criticised
02 May 01 | Asia-Pacific
Philippines president widens crackdown
03 Sep 01 | Asia-Pacific
Estrada case: Bank accounts frozen
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories