| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 16 October, 2001, 12:19 GMT 13:19 UK
Scout leader cleared of manslaughter
Jonathan fell 500 feet to his death from Snowdon
A former scout leader accused of the manslaughter of a 10-year-old boy on Snowdon has been found not guilty over the boy's death.
Peter Finlay, 51, from Bristol, had denied the manslaughter of Jonathan Attwell during a trek across the mountain on 16 October, 1999. Jonathan, who was also from Bristol, had fallen 500 feet to his death while negotiating the tricky East Ridge.
The jury had retired to consider its verdict on Tuesday morning at Caernarfon Crown Court. Prosecuting QC Robin Spencer had earlier described the incident as "an accident waiting to happen" and claimed the boy's life was "needlessly lost." Denied charge Mr Finlay, however, had denied the charge of manslaughter through gross negligence throughout the case. And the defence counsel had said that, while his client was at fault, the jury would have to consider whether that fault had reached a criminal degree.
When he lost contact with the others, it was alleged, he took a wrong turn which led to a steep drop. No reaction Mr Finlay told the jury the trip was one of many he had organised since becoming involved with the Scout Association in 1986. He said he could not believe a young boy "could have vanished and fallen off the edge." In earlier evidence, the court heard from a Snowdonia National Park senior warden, who claimed the route was unsuitable for inexperienced walkers.
Outside the court, electrician Mr Attwell, 43, said: "We are deeply saddened at the verdict that has been achieved - this following on from the events of two years ago this very day. "The events of October 16, 1999 when the life of our only and dearest young son Jonathan Paul Edward Attwell was taken so sadly and tragically from us and his big sister Cathryn. "To all other parents of young children, it is not enough just to entrust your youngster's life in the hands of others without asking the obvious question: 'Will they be safe'?" The couple said be a regulatory body should set up to examine procedures undertaken by groups like the Scout Association in such activities as mountain walking and climbing. Leaving the court, Mr Finlay said: "The thoughts of Jonathan are with me and will be now for the rest of my life." |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|