BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: South Asia
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 15 October, 2001, 21:03 GMT 22:03 UK
Kabul sees heaviest daytime raids
Afghans look through a fence to the Pakistani side of the Torkham border crossing
Afghans have been fleeing to the Pakistani border
The United States has unleashed the heaviest daylight strikes against Afghanistan since the air raids started on 7 October.

The bombs continued to descend on Kabul after darkness fell, with reports of at least two explosions rocking the Afghan capital, prompting residents to flee for their lives.

At a press briefing at the Pentagon, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld admitted that civilian casualties in Afghanistan were an inevitable product of Washington's war.

A copy of one of the leaflets dropped on Afghanistan by the US
This leaflet gives the schedule for American broadcasts
"I don't think there is any way to avoid that," he said. "It is practically impossible to know with certainty who is on the ground in any given location."

He nonetheless dismissed as "ridiculous" Taleban claims that hundreds of civilians had been killed during the strikes.

Bombs, then pamphlets

Mr Rumsfeld also said that on Sunday warplanes started to drop leaflets, which the US hopes will convince the Afghan people that they are not the targets of the ongoing strikes.

One of the leaflets shows a western soldier shaking hands with a man in traditional Afghan garb, while another gives the frequencies and times of American broadcasts.

On Monday, warplanes kicked off the ninth day of the campaign with another attack on the already battered Kabul airport.

The Taleban responded to the attacks, but their fire was said to be weak and sporadic, suggesting defences have been severely damaged.

Independent sources in Kabul said other targets included a house where some foreign Islamic militants used to live, and a military base in the north of the city housing one of the Taleban's battalions

Click here for a map of recent air strikes

Qatar-based al-Jazeera television said two residential areas in the capital had also been hit.

Elsewhere, a jet bombed the outskirts of the eastern city of Jalalabad, reportedly hitting a former training camp of Osama Bin Laden. An airport in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif was also targeted.

ruins of village
The Taleban say over 200 people have been killed
And the Taleban said 12 people were killed and 32 injured when the northern city of Qala-i-nau was attacked. The statement could not be independently verified.

Afghans fleeing to neighbouring Pakistan to escape the strikes spoke of horrors in their home towns.

"I've seen the bodies of women and children pulled out of the rubble of their homes," Abdul Wali, a shopkeeper from Kandahar, told the Reuters news agency as he arrived in Quetta.

Deserted streets

Shops were shutting early in Kabul and the streets were often deserted. Petrol is expensive and in short supply.

George Bush
Bush dismissed the Taleban offer within an hour

But other prices are generally down. The staple food, flour, is now about half the price it was just after the attacks on New York and Washington.

Our correspondent says that is because the Afghan currency has surged against the dollar, an indication that despite the Afghans' current fear, many still hope for a positive outcome to the crisis.

The Taleban's third most powerful leader, Maulvi Abdul Kabir, had said Bin Laden - suspected of masterminding last month's terror attacks on the US - could be sent to a neutral country if the US halted air strikes.

He repeated a demand to be shown evidence of Bin Laden's connection to the attacks, but President George W Bush again ruled out any negotiation.

On Sunday the Taleban took a group of international journalists to a village 50 kilometres (30 miles) from Jalalabad, where they say nearly 200 residents were killed by US bombing last week.

The BBC's Rahim Ullah Yusuf Zai said the village, which stank of rotting corpses, had been completely destroyed and that journalists had been shown shrapnel and an unexploded bomb.

Our reporter, who was met with furious protests by distraught locals, says he is in no doubt that the devastation was caused by a US strike.





Launch new window : Detailed map
Click here for a detailed map of the strikes so far

Click here to return

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Kim Barnes
"There is no indication that the Taleban regime is crumbling"
The BBC's John Simpson
reports from the trenches near Kabul
The BBC's Ben Brown
reports on the battles between Northern Alliance and Taleban forces
See also:

15 Oct 01 | South Asia
Thousands cross into Pakistan illegally
15 Oct 01 | South Asia
Afghan rebels change tack
14 Oct 01 | Americas
Military campaign: One week on
14 Oct 01 | From Our Own Correspondent
Warriors on land and sea
14 Oct 01 | Middle East
Kuwait disowns Bin Laden aide
14 Oct 01 | South Asia
Millions at risk in Afghan crisis
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more South Asia stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more South Asia stories