| You are in: UK | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 15 October, 2001, 14:16 GMT 15:16 UK
Concorde to fly again in November
A series of test flights have been carried out
British Airways and Air France are to resume passenger flights on Concorde on 7 November.
The first BA London-New York flight on the supersonic plane will be for corporate customers and the media, and the first commercial flight will be on 9 November. Bookings open on Tuesday for what will be, initially, a six-times-a-week London to New York service. There will be no Saturday flights.
Both Concorde fleets have been grounded since one of the planes crashed near Paris in July 2000, killing 113 people. Their return comes as the international aviation industry is struggling to recover from losses in the wake of the 11 September US terrorist attacks, which were carried out by four hijacked airliners. New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani said: "Concorde's return is symbolic of how all New Yorkers feel about rebuilding this great city. I am proud to welcome Concorde back to New York."
BA chief executive Rod Eddington said: "We hope Concorde will play a major part in rebuilding confidence in New York and demonstrating that it is business as usual between the UK and the USA." Air France chairman Jean-Cyril Spinetta said: "Concorde's return to New York is symbolic of Air France's tribute to the people of this city, to their strength and their strong resolve to rebuild."
Modifications The British and French aviation authorities agreed in September to return the airworthiness certificates for the planes, which were withdrawn following the accident. Both airlines have made extensive modifications to their fleets to prevent a repeat of the crash, caused when debris from a burst tyre pierced a fuel tank, resulting in a fatal fire.
The modifications have performed well in successful test flights conducted by BA over the last few months. Tourism officials hope Concorde's returns will give the whole travel industry a boost. Keith Betton of the Association of British Travel Agents said: "People who see Concorde taking off will see that the industry, even though it's having a tough time, is fighting back and is determined to carry on in difficult times, and I think it will actually give people the confidence to travel again." Money-spinner Concorde had been very profitable for BA and Air France before the crash, and British Airways said passenger interest in Concorde remained strong. A spokeswoman told the AFP news agency: "Interest is very high from corporate users and frequent flyers. "It's early to say but we are very positive about the future of Concorde." But BBC correspondent Rory Cellan Jones said: "In the current climate, it's difficult to preduct how many seats will be sold. The airlines are confident about Concorde's safety - its economics will now be tested." BA has seven Concordes, and Air France has five. BA is also planning to relaunch its London-Barbados service once a week from December.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top UK stories now:
Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more UK stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|