| You are in: World: Africa | ||||
|
|
Tuesday, 14 August, 2001, 08:16 GMT 09:16 UK
More food for Congo displaced people
The United Nations World Food Programme says it's begun feeding 40,000 people in government-held areas of the Democratic Republic of Congo, whom it previously couldn't reach because of continuing conflict. The new food delivery is in Katanga province, where the WFP estimates that more than half the area's 300,000 displaced people are in urgent need of food aid. The WFP says the delivery is a sign of its efforts to increase aid to the growing numbers of war victims in isolated and volatile parts of the country. The organisation says it's delivering for the first time in more than a year to people in the towns of Kabongo and Kitenge, where more than a quarter of young children are estimated to be malnourished. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|