| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Tuesday, 14 August, 2001, 07:17 GMT 08:17 UK
Israeli tanks raid Palestinian town
Israel said the raid was in response to terror attacks
Israeli tanks have carried out a lightning assault on the West Bank town of Jenin, the first incursion into the centre of a Palestinian-controlled town since the current troubles began 10 months ago.
During a three-hour operation tanks and armoured bulldozers destroyed a Palestinian police station and two checkpoints and took up positions outside the governor's residence, before withdrawing. Four Palestinian security officers were reported injured in gun battles with Israeli soldiers. Witnesses said that Israeli helicopters flew above the town during the operation, and that Palestinian gunmen opened fire at the tanks. An Israeli spokesman, Dore Gold, told the BBC that the raid was in response to what he said was the continued lack of action by the Palestinian Authority to stop terrorist attacks against Israel, and that Jenin had been a base for several recent attacks against Israel.
A few hours after the incursion, Palestinian gunmen opened fire on a car near Hebron seriously wounding an Israeli settler and lightly injuring her three-year-old child. There were also reports of heavy exchanges of fire between Israeli security forces and Palestinians near Bethlehem and a 22-year-old member of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's bodyguard, Force 17, was injured in Ramallah when his car was shelled by the Israelis. Appeals to the UN Jenin was handed over to Palestinian control in 1995, under the interim peace accord agreed at the Oslo peace talks.
Commenting on events in Jenin, a senior Palestinian official, Saeb Erekat told the BBC's World Today programme that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon "had opened hell's gate tonight. "The endgame of Mr Sharon is to make sure that he closes every possible door for peace." Strike protest Palestinians on Monday staged a general strike in the West Bank and Gaza Strip to protest against Israel's seizure of Orient House, their unofficial headquarters in mainly Arab East Jerusalem. Most Palestinian shops and businesses were closed, while Palestinian demonstrators and Israeli police again scuffled outside Orient House itself. Ten protesters were arrested, as they struggled to raise Palestinian flags. Israeli split United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan demanded an immediate ceasefire and called for an end to the occupation of Orient House.
The Israel Government has declared that Orient House will never be handed back. But doves in the Israeli cabinet, led by Foreign Minister Shimon Peres, believe that the hawks led by Mr Sharon may have committed a blunder by seizing the building. Amid the protests, peace efforts were continuing, with Mr Peres being authorised to make contact with Palestinian representatives, but only to discuss a ceasefire and not for political negotiations. Mr Peres denied that he had been ordered by Mr Sharon not to speak to the Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. "I have the right to meet every person I think I have to, including Chairman Arafat," said Mr Peres. Meanwhile the political chief of Hamas said that suicide bombs were the only way to bargain with Israel. Such attacks "force Ariel Sharon to accept Foreign Minister Shimon Peres negotiating with the Palestinians," said Khaled Meshaal. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|