BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: Business
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Market Data 
Economy 
Companies 
E-Commerce 
Your Money 
Business Basics 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 18:53 GMT 19:53 UK
Bush keeps 'open mind' on Argentina
Demonstrators block a road in Buenos Aires
Workers have protested against plans for big pay cuts
Talks between Argentina, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the US Treasury continued on Monday, as the country sought extra money to help ease its financial crisis.

United States President George W Bush said on Monday the US government was keeping an "open mind on all options" for Argentina.

President Bush called on Argentina to press ahead with its current reforms.

"We're watching the situation very carefully...We urge Argentina to implement (the) reforms. As they do so, they will gain the confidence not only of our country but of a lot of folks who are concerned about it," he said.

The IMF has already said it will speed up the disbursement of a previously announced $1.2bn loan, but Argentina is also seeking between $6bn and $9bn to strengthen its foreign currency reserves.

Protests continue

Earlier this month Argentina's government forced through a series of spending cuts which led to demonstrations across the country.

On Monday there was further action against the austerity measures with strikes in protest against public sector pay cuts.

The spending cuts are seen as necessary to balance the budget and avoid defaulting on the country's $128bn (£90bn) debt.

The collapse in confidence in Argentina's financial situation has led to many people withdrawing their savings. Bank deposits in the country fell by 7% in July.

Talks continue

Financial markets in Argentina were weaker on Monday as no firm news emerged from Washington about how the talks were progressing.

The head of the IMF, Horst Koehler, has already said he would recommend an early release of $1.2bn (£840m) to Argentina, which was due to be handed over in September.

Argentina's finance secretary, Daniel Marx is now trying to negotiate an extra $6-9bn in new aid, and talks with the IMF and US Treasury which were supposed to end on Sunday are still ongoing.

Argentina's government has already warned that it may take "several weeks" to negotiate a deal.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
Former head of Buenos Aires exchange Luis Corsiglia
"We can recover... in two or three weeks if we receive this aid"
See also:

08 Aug 01 | Americas
Argentines protest against pay cuts
04 Aug 01 | Business
IMF speeds up cash for Argentina
19 Jul 01 | Business
Argentina's corporate bail-out
17 Jul 01 | Business
Argentine austerity plan backed
12 Jul 01 | Business
Argentina debt sparks foreign fears
09 Jul 01 | Business
Currency nerves hit emerging markets
20 Jun 01 | Business
Argentine currency fears grow
19 Jun 01 | Business
Argentina switch rattles currencies
13 Jul 01 | Business
Argentina minister appeals for calm
20 Jul 01 | Business
General strike paralyses Argentina
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Business stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Business stories