BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 16:43 GMT 17:43 UK
Hospital kept daughter's brain
Portrait of Rebekka
Rebekka Hudd died five years ago
A mother whose daughter was killed by a driver using a mobile phone has discovered that her brain was removed and retained by a Bristol hospital.

11-year-old Rebekka Hudd died after being knocked down in 1996.

Mrs Hudd, of Pucklechurch, is now asking for the return of the brain and some "tissue blocks" which were also kept.

"I want everything to come back to be buried near her coffin," she told BBC News Online.

Life support

"Before they switched off her life support machine I was asked about organ donation and I said 'no' as she had been damaged enough already.

"Although I had been told she was brain stem dead I was praying she might survive."


They've stolen her brain. I am disgusted

Lynda Hudd

Following national publicity about organ retentions, Mrs Hudd phoned a hospital helpline to make inquiries.

She has now received a letter from North Bristol NHS Trust saying that Rebekka's brain, four tissue blocks and 13 slides were retained following a post mortem to confirm the cause of death.

'Better ways'

The letter said: "You were not told about this at the time to avoid causing additional distress following the loss of your loved one.

"We now know there are better ways of dealing with this and in future full information must be provided to relatives."

The letter apologises for this not happening in her case and for the "uncertainty and distress that reliving the situation may have caused to you and your family".

"In effect they've stolen her brain. I am disgusted," said Mrs Hudd.

Fifth anniversary

She will be asking for its return, together with the tissue, under arrangements allowed by the Retained Organs Commission.

"I want to bury them by her in the village churchyard on the fifth anniversary of her funeral in September," she said.

Since Rebekka's death, Mrs Hudd has been campaigning for the use of mobile phones while driving to be made illegal.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (Rospa) is urging the government to change the law.

See also:

17 Jul 01 | Health
'Ban mobiles when driving'
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories