BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 15:01 GMT 16:01 UK
Peres to talk to Palestinians
Protester held by the police outside Orient House
Police wrestle with a protester outside Jerusalem's Orient House
Israeli Foreign Minister Shimon Peres has been authorised to make contact with Palestinian representatives, but only to discuss a ceasefire and not for political negotiations.


[The Palestinians are] trying to achieve something that they weren't able to achieve around the negotiating table

Israeli spokesman Raanan Gissin
Senior political sources in the Israeli Government confirmed the latest effort to end 10 months of violence, but stressed that it did not breach Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's oft-repeated policy of not negotiating "under fire".

Israel remains on a high state of alert following last week's bloody suicide bombing in Jerusalem, and another attack on Sunday which killed the bomber and injured 15 people.

Palestinians meanwhile have launched a general strike to protest Israel's seizure of Orient House, their political headquarters in mainly Arab east Jerusalem.
Shops in Palestinian cities are shut for the day
Shops shuttered in protest

Scuffles also broke out during the day between Palestinians demonstrating outside the building and Israeli police, who confiscated banners and arrested several of their owners.

BBC correspondent Paul Wood says many Palestinians view Israeli attempts to re-open talks without a political content as an effort to get them to call off their uprising unconditionally.

Israeli troops occupied Orient House in the aftermath of Thursday's bombing by Islamic militant group Hamas at a popular restaurant in west Jerusalem, which killed 15 people.

Shops, businesses and restaurants across the West Bank and in major Palestinian cities were closed in the first general strike since the uprising, or intifada, began last September.


[Suicide bombings] force Ariel Sharon to accept Foreign Minister Shimon Peres negotiating with the Palestinians

Hamas political leader
Palestinian refugees in south Lebanon and Damascus also shut shop to protest the seizure of the highly symbolic headquarters.

At a refugee camp near the Lebanese city of Sidon, about 2,000 Palestinians chanted anti-Israel slogans and burned an effigy of Mr Sharon.

'Arafat's responsibility'

Israel said it held Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat personally responsible for Sunday's attack in a Russian cafe near the northern town of Haifa.

Witnesses said a man got out of a taxi, walked to the restaurant terrace and detonated the explosives he was carrying in a bag.

The militant Palestinian group Islamic Jihad said it carried out the attack, but a spokesman for Mr Sharon said the Palestinian Authority had not done enough to rein in the terrorists.

Israeli police pull Palestinian woman's hair outside Orient House in Jerusalem
Protests erupted at Orient House again on Sunday

"There's no doubt part of this campaign [is] trying to break the citizens of Israel, trying to achieve something that they [the Palestinians] weren't able to achieve around the negotiating table," spokesman Raanan Gissin said.

The political chief of Hamas said that suicide bombs were the only way to bargain with Israel.

Such attacks "force Ariel Sharon to accept Foreign Minister Shimon Peres negotiating with the Palestinians," said Khaled Meshaal.

Occupation

Israeli troops occupied Orient House early on Friday morning, as well as occupying other offices in the suburb of Abu Dis and launching air strikes on Palestinian police headquarters in Ramallah.

United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has demanded an immediate ceasefire and called for an end to the occupation of Orient House.

Foreign Minister Shimon Peres and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
Doves and hawks do not see eye-to-eye over the next step
But Israel has declared that the building will never be handed back.

Doves in the Israeli cabinet, led by Mr Peres, believe that the hawks, led by Mr Sharon, may have committed a blunder by seizing the building.

Our correspondent says the doves fear it may bring the Palestinian uprising into the heart of Jerusalem and lead to television pictures of Israeli police spilling Palestinian blood on the streets of the city.

The temperature remained high on the Arab side as a seven-year-old girl was buried in Hebron after being shot in the head by Israeli troops during violent clashes on Sunday.

She is being laid to rest beside her grandmother who suffered a heart attack after the girl's death.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Barbara Plett
"Palestinian leaders have called for a day of demonstrations"
Israel's Transport Minister, Ephraim Sneh
"The PLO or the Palestinian Authority cannot have an operative headquarters in Jerusalem"
Palestinian Cabinet Minister Ziad Abu Zayyad
says Palestinians want a ceasefire
See also:

08 Aug 01 | Middle East
Suicide bomb injures Israeli soldier
18 Jul 01 | Middle East
School trains suicide bombers
09 Jul 01 | Middle East
Suicide bomber dies in Gaza blast
19 Oct 00 | Middle East
Who are Hamas?
09 Aug 01 | Middle East
Who are Islamic Jihad?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories