BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 14:51 GMT 15:51 UK
Disco-fire trial begins in China
Defendants in the Luoyang City Intermediate People's Court
Defendants face a wide variety of charges
Twenty-three people have gone on trial in central China in connection with a huge fire at a disco last year in which 309 people died.

Local officials plus staff at the building face numerous charges, including negligence and abuse of power.

The fire happened at a commercial building in Luoyang in Henan province in December. It started in the basement and then thick smoke spread to the disco on the fourth floor.

Gutted disco interior
The disco was gutted but most victims died from smoke inhalation
The official media in China said it was one of the worst fires in the country's recent history and had shocked the nation.

Most of the victims suffocated from smoke inhalation.

Among those on trial are four welders accused of starting the blaze by igniting piles of rags in the basement.

Investigators at the time of the blaze last December said stray sparks from welding set fire to cloth and furniture stored in the basement.

They said say one welder had been operating equipment in violation of regulations.

The official newspaper of the Chinese Communist Party, the People's Daily, said on Monday the four failed to extinguish the fire, "took to their heels from the scene" and made a pact to keep silent.

Local safety inspectors are also accused of negligence.

Poor safety standards

Lax fire safety standards lead to thousands of deaths in China each year.

Luoyang relatives
Relatives had to identify victims from photographs
The Luoyang dance hall had only two emergency exits, one hidden behind the bar. There were no sprinklers or smoke alarms.

Immediately after December's fire, the government ordered the closure of dance halls and recreation centres which had inadequate safety equipment.

It also called for checks for potential fire hazards in other public buildings, including hospitals and schools.

The nightclub fire was China's worst such disaster since December 1994, when 324 people, mostly children, were killed in a concert hall in Xinjiang.

See also:

27 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Chinese disco fire suspects 'confess'
29 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Funerals for China fire victims
26 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Safety checks after China disco fire
26 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
Hundreds die in China disco blaze
28 Sep 00 | Asia-Pacific
China's record of neglect
26 Dec 00 | Asia-Pacific
China's deadly fires
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories