| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 17:31 GMT 18:31 UK
Macedonia peace deal signed
The next challenge is to get peace on the ground
Macedonian and ethnic Albanian political leaders have signed an internationally negotiated peace deal despite a week of the bloodiest fighting of the conflict yet.
Nato Secretary-General George Robertson welcomed the deal, saying it "opens the way for a peaceful lasting solution" for Macedonia. He said the first of Nato's four conditions for the deployment of 3,500 troops to oversee rebel disarmament had been fulfilled.
Western mediators say the next, urgent step is to negotiate a ceasefire on the ground - a process which Lord Robertson said would begin on Monday evening. About 30 people died last week in the fiercest fighting seen since ethnic Albanian guerrillas launched their insurgency in February. About 100 people in total have died since the fighting began.
"The signature of the peace accord represents a victory against Macedonian repression. It's the result of international pressure," Commander Shpati told the French news agency, AFP, adding that the rebel National Liberation Army (NLA) would decide within 15 days whether to lay down its arms. Lord Robertson called for the political agreement, which aims to address Albanian demands for greater recognition and representation, to be implemented swiftly. It must be ratified by the Macedonian parliament before it comes into force.
There has been little local media coverage of the peace accord and the Macedonian community is expected to react angrily to the signing of a deal in a week when they have buried so many of their dead. Nonetheless, Lord Robertson was optimistic about the deal. "This is a major step forward for the return of the country to normal life. Violence will not win and violence cannot be allowed to win," he said, adding that Macedonia could count on Nato's continuing support. But there is, he said, still some way before Nato's four conditions for deployment are met:
Done deal?
Details of Monday's deal have not been released. But it is thought to address the key points of Albanian language rights and representation in the police forces as well as a change to the constitution to recognise Macedonia as a multi-ethnic country. Western envoys hope this will undercut support for the ethnic Albanians' armed struggle. But observers say many Macedonians will not accept a deal which they perceive as being done under military pressure. They contest claims by the ethnic Albanian rebels that they are fighting for greater rights for their community, which makes up an estimated 30% of Macedonia's population, and accuse them of making a grab for land and harbouring ambitions to set up an ethnic Albanian mini-state. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|