| You are in: Health | ||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 14:02 GMT 15:02 UK
Nursing home used 'scare tactics'
The nurses have found alternative employment
The Royal College of Nursing has accused a private nursing home in Northamptonshire of exploiting a group of Filipino nurses.
The five nurses were recruited in the Philippines at the beginning of 2000 but the RCN said the contracts they signed before they left were changed after they arrived in the UK. The RCN said the owners of the home, which has not been named, substituted the nurses' contracts with another employment contract. This cut their salary from £11,000 to just £9,000 during their adaptation period. 'Scare tactics' The RCN said during their time at the home the nurses experienced poor employment practices. They were only paid at a rate of £4 per hour when covering for sick or absent care assistants, rather than the £6.75 they should have been paid as registered nurses. In addition, all five nurses were housed in a one-bedroom flat over the nursing home at a cost of £200 per month each.
The RCN has now found alternative employment for the nurses at Northampton General Hospital. But on Monday, it called for action to be taken under the new Care Standards Act. Beverly Malone, RCN general secretary, said: "These were very experienced nurses with excellent skills who could make a very real contribution to patient care. "Rather than welcoming them and using their expertise, they were subject to exploitation and scare tactics to make them sign new contracts. "An ethical recruitment policy is not just about the country nurses are recruited from, it is also about making sure they are treated fairly on their arrival in the UK." Hospital vacancies She added: "We really need to see tough action against nurse recruitment agencies who flout good practice." She said the RCN was delighted to work with the local hospital to ensure the nurses were in a safe environment. Karen Charman, assistant director of human resources at Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust, said the hospital did not have a general policy of actively recruiting from overseas but there had been vacancies. She added: "My first reaction was to see what we could do to help. "The nurses will work initially as staff nurses, with the same opportunities as our other staff to apply for jobs in open competition." 'Nurses bullied' The RCN has urged other nurses in similar situations to seek help. The organisation's southeast regional officer Tim Curry, who organised the nurses' move, said: "We took this action because it was clear the nurses were being bullied. "We do not usually suggest nurses break their contracts but this was a strong case. "We want to make it clear that we will stand up for other nurses in similar positions and provide them with practical help, support and advice." |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Health stories now:
Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Health stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|