BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 14:18 GMT 15:18 UK
Evidence 'proves Hamiltons innocent'
Neil and Christine Hamilton
Neil and Christine Hamilton outside their Cheshire home on Monday
Neil and Christine Hamilton's solicitor says evidence proving the couple were not involved in an alleged sex assault has been presented to police.

Michael Coleman said the material showed the couple could not have been in Ilford, Essex, where the alleged rape is said to have taken place, on the day of the attack.

A 28-year-old college lecturer, who cannot be named for legal reasons, claims the couple performed indecent acts on her at an Ilford flat, on 5 May, while a 60-year-old man raped her.

Mr Hamilton earlier told reporters that he and his wife were "totally innocent of these preposterous allegations" and said they had not "excluded" taking legal action over the matter.


Unless they were helicoptered out it seems impossible for them to have actually taken part

Michael Coleman
Hamiltons' solicitor
Mr Coleman told Sky News the evidence included details of the Hamiltons' telephone and credit card use on 5 May.

"We have disclosed to police the use of their mobile phone at various times during the day and invited the police to get on to the telephone companies and show where that phone physically was."

Credit card details showed the couple had also shopped in Waitrose, Marks and Spencer, and Snappy Snaps on the day, he said.

"I'll be getting in touch with those stores asking for confirmation of the time of the use of those cards and disclosure of their CCTV.

"So unless they were helicoptered out it seems impossible for them to have actually taken part in this incident."

'Scandal'

Mr Hamilton, who along with his wife was questioned for five hours by police over the alleged assault, earlier told reporters he had spent Monday morning assembling documentary evidence "categorically to disprove these allegations".

"It's a scandal that police have allowed this to go so far before giving us the opportunity to blow the whole thing out of the water and reveal it for the nonsense that it is," he said.

The couple's appearance outside their Cheshire home on Monday lunchtime followed reports that they were considering suing Scotland Yard over their arrest.

It was also reported that they may bring a case for wrongful imprisonment after their questioning.

The pair have repeatedly and strongly denied the allegations, describing them as a "complete tissue of lies and fabrications".

The Daily Mail on Monday quoted Mr Coleman as saying that his clients may now be seeking damages from Scotland Yard.

'Stolen' computers

Scotland Yard has declined to comment, with a spokeswoman saying it "would be inappropriate to discuss any details during an ongoing investigation".

The couple once again posed for pictures outside their £1.25m house at Nether Alderley, Cheshire.

The Hamiltons pose with their arms around each other
The couple also posed for the massed photographers in London
They had returned to the house on Sunday evening, after spending the weekend in their flat in Battersea, London.

Police have taken away the couple's computers as part of their investigation into the allegations.

The allegations originally surfaced on Friday after the couple were released on police bail following five hours of questioning.

Publicist Max Clifford confirmed on Saturday that the woman told him of the allegations, before going to the police.

Legal changes sought

Labour peer Lord Corbett is calling for the reintroduction of legislation granting anonymity to people accused of rape unless they are found guilty of the offence.

He was a home affairs spokesman responsible for overseeing law in 1976 that made it an offence to name either the rape victim or the alleged perpetrator of the crime.

The clause guarding the anonymity of those accused of rape was overturned in the mid-1980s.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
The BBC's Nick Higham
"The couple are outraged that their names were published"
Neil and Christine Hamilton
speak to reporters outside their Cheshire home
Lord Harris, long standing friend of the Hamilions
"I think it's amazing that they haven't snapped"
See also:

13 Aug 01 | TV and Radio
Theroux shadows the Hamiltons
22 May 01 | UK
Hamilton declared bankrupt
13 Aug 01 | UK
Peer seeks rape law change
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories