| You are in: World: Middle East | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 08:15 GMT 09:15 UK
Peres to talk to Palestinians
Jerusalem's Orient House: A potential new flashpoint
Foreign Minister Shimon Peres has been authorised to make contact with Palestinian representatives, but only to discuss a ceasefire and not for political negotiations.
Israel remains on a high state of alert following last week's bloody suicide bombing in Jerusalem, and another attack on Sunday which killed the bomber and injured 15 people. The Palestinian leadership has meanwhile launched a general strike and a day of rage in protest at Israel's seizure of Orient House, the Palestinians' political headquarters in mainly-Arab east Jerusalem.
Israeli troops occupied Orient House in the aftermath of Thursday's bombing by Islamic militant group Hamas at a popular restaurant in west Jerusalem, which killed 15 people. Shops and businesses across the West Bank and Gaza were closed on Monday in the first general strike since the uprising, or intifada, began last September. 'Arafat's responsibility' Israel said it held Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat personally responsible for Sunday's attack in a Russian cafe near the northern town of Haifa. Witnesses said a man got out of a taxi, walked to the restaurant terrace and detonated the explosives he was carrying in a bag.
"There's no doubt part of this campaign [is] trying to break the citizens of Israel, trying to achieve something that they [the Palestinians] weren't able to achieve around the negotiating table," spokesman Raanan Gissin said. Re-occupation Israeli troops stormed Orient House early on Friday morning, as well as occupying other offices in the suburb of Abu Dis and launching air strikes on Palestinian police headquarters in Ramallah . United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan has demanded an immediate ceasefire and called for an end to the occupation of Orient House.
Doves in the Israeli cabinet, led by Mr Peres, believe that the hawks, led by Mr Sharon, may have committed a blunder by seizing the building. BBC correspondent Paul Wood says the doves fear it may bring the Palestinian uprising into the heart of Jerusalem and lead to television pictures of Israeli police spilling Palestinian blood on the streets of the city. The temperature remained high on the Arab side as a seven-year-old girl was buried in Hebron after being shot in the head by Israeli troops during violent clashes on Sunday. She is being laid to rest beside her grandmother who suffered a heart attack after the girl's death. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|