BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK: Wales
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Monday, 13 August, 2001, 06:48 GMT 07:48 UK
Police warning after football clashes
South Wales Police on duty in Cardiff city centre
Over 700 officers were drafted in ahead of the game
South Wales police have insisted that football violence will not be tolerated after clashes on the streets of Cardiff during the Charity Shield weekend.

Two boys aged 11 and 13 were arrested after a man's back was slashed just before kick-off of the Liverpool v Manchester United match on Sunday which Liverpool won 2-1.

Man handcuffed after a disturbance in Cardiff
Police dealt with a spate of violence

Police discovered the man - who is thought to have been injured with a carpet knife - after they were called to reports of a disturbance in Wood Street.

A total of 22 arrests were made over the weekend and two police officers were injured in scuffles involving football fans in the city centre on Saturday night.

One officer suffered a broken arm when he went to investigate a gang assault, while a second was left with bruises and cuts in an attack.


Liverpool have been here many times before and we have never had any problems with their fans

Chief Superintendent Neil Jellings, South Wales Police

Over 700 officers were drafted on the streets of Cardiff to head off any trouble during the Millennium Stadium clash.

Seven people were arrested on Sunday but the majority of the arrests were made on Saturday after disturbances which were believed to have involved Cardiff City and Manchester United fans.

The arrests were for assault, drug-related offences and public order offences.

Neil Jellings Chief Superintendent, South Wales Police said: "Liverpool have been here many times before and we have never had any problems with their fans.

"I really don't know why this has particularly kicked-off on this occasion."

Officers said the outbursts on Saturday may have been organised by fans claiming to support Cardiff, who won their opening Nationwide League Division Two match 1-0 against Wycombe at Ninian Park earlier in the day.

FA investigated

Police have said they are planning further arrests in connection with the incidents, and are appealing for witnesses.

Meanwhile, it has emerged that the Football Association is under investigation by the Charity Commission.

The FA is under investigation by the Charity Commission who say the Association has not informed those buying tickets what proportion of the cost is going to charity.

The commission says the FA is required by law to inform those buying tickets what proportion of the cost is going to charity - but it has not complied with the requirement.

The FA has responded by saying that all non-costs generated from the fixture are donated to charity - and it has placed an article in the match programme explaining how the money will be distributed.

 WATCH/LISTEN
 ON THIS STORY
BBC Wales's Penny Roberts reports
"Police admitted that at times there was an ugly atmosphere"
See also:

12 Aug 01 | Football
Clockwatch: Liverpool 2-1 Man Utd
09 Aug 01 | Football
History of the Charity Shield
12 Feb 01 | Wales
Football violence: 22 charged
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Wales stories